Saturday, April 8, 2006

sauced and battle-ready

You think things are going all smooth with your day, and then it happens: you spill sauce all over your foot. Luckily, it was refrigerated. Unluckily, it tipped from my hand in such a way that it splattered all over the fridge, the floor, my skirt. What can I say, I am so the coolest kid in school.

This weekend has been kind of nice so far, though. I love spring. Two days ago I was driving down Canterbury, which is off of Indepence near the mall, and there was total mass of flowers, all pinks and whites and purples. Mostly it was the trees and the azalea bushes, but there were some tulips too. It was like being in a painting. I wish I could come up with a better analogy than that, but alas. The weather and flowers this week though, are what make this absolutely my favorite time of year in Carolina.

On the down side. I'm going to have to do battle soon, I can feel it. You see, I have encountered 3 bugs today, all in the kitchen. All...odd-looking. But all the same. What is it about every house or apartment you live in having its own particular bug. In North Raleigh, it was the horrid palmetto bugs. At Colonial Park-ee, it was fleas left by the last tenant's dog, and palmetto bugs. In Chicago.... come to think of it, I don't remember any bugs in Chicago. At least not in the famed dorm at the corner of State and Madison Streets. Maybe I need to move back there:


*Pause briefly for over-nostalgic I-Miss-Chi-Town Reverie*

On Fifth Avenue, it was kitchen ants (and palmettos, like in the pantry, ew ew ew) that I would have loved to scrape into an envelope and mail to the landlady. At Park Avenue, these weird little crunchy bugs that lived in the kitchen, like in flour-based products, but also, randomly, in the bathroom. And now, here in KG, it's these... spotted beetle-type creatures. They're about the size of a Japanese beetle, but kind of yellowy and polka-dotted, and of the 3, 1 was dead, another was half-dead, and the third was fully alive.

When you find 3 bugs in one room in the space of just a few hours, and in that order of Various Life Stages, it is not a good sign. You know they're coming from somewhere, and if it's the kitchen, it's probably a food product. But, what food product, is the shivery question. It makes me simultaneously Afraid to Look and Afraid Not to Look. I'm indiscriminately tossing some more questionable items: the open bag on muffin mix from over a year ago? Gone. Bisquik from who knows when? Toss it.

*Pause briefly to consider the Actual Moment of Bug Lair Discovery, for instance peering into box of, say, corn starch, only to find it teeming with the aforementioned hideous KG Beetle Creatures.*

Blyeggggh.

I'm off to war. Till then,
Combat Pen

(Why can't I use a paintball gun?)

6 comments:

mendacious said...

you are SO cool! i love you. (oh and boric acid is awesome for keeping those gross big critters away- you just squeeze it into cracks and around woodpiles, etc. it works wonders- i do not lie.)

penelope said...

You know, a lady at Target told me that once, and I actually have some somewheres. Good call! (But I still like the paintball gun idea.)

mendacious said...

oh i still think you should use the paintgun. with pretty different colored pellets...

T. said...

Yesterday I was attacked by bees on my porch. I got some Raid and blasted those fuckers one by one.

Anonymous said...

In the Park Avenue house we had a fireplace full of bees. We even called pros to get rid of them--and those guys were like "hell naw." One day I pulled into my drive and an old man (let's call him, Mr. Fixit) had a fishing rod and was lowering a bee bomb into our fireplace. I told him people driving by were going to think he was crazy fishing down our chimney.

Anyone need an executive secretary? Or a car washer? Or, just a whipping boy? I'd be glad to move back to Wilmywood.
dd

Kim said...

Whenever I think of Wilmington, the only bugs I really remember (besides Palmettos, which were truly heinous and so scary that I have mostly blocked them from my memory) were the thousands upon thousands of fleas that lived in my Abbots Run apartment, and in the cuffs of my shorts, the cracks of my chairs...

Oh, those were itchy times.