Thursday, April 13, 2006

focus!


1. An argument for chocolate: As anyone who comes over to visit Casa L-beam knows, we tend to keep a lot of candy on hand. Bowlfuls of M&Ms, snack-size Milky Ways, Peppermint Patties (mmmm) and things like that. Well, we recently ran out. Normally, I would go right out to Target and purchase a few more bags of the stuff, but I've been trying to a) spend less and b) eat healthier. And it's not that chocolate isn't in the budget; it is. But Easter's coming and my mom, if she doesn't buy it for us, usually has a lot of extras that she insists we take home--so I just thought I could wait a few days and get it for free. But the last couple of days I have noticed that I am starving, like all the time. And I've been eating a ton of those giant Pepperidge Farm cookies, which is okay to a point, but seriously, 4 a day? Not good. I'm getting that, ew, I ate too much but I'm still not satisfied feeling. And it occurrs to me that it's because of the missing chocolate. I must need chocolate in my daily diet. I still eat healthy things throughout the day: yogurt, apples, oatmeal, grapes. A basic food groups dinner. But without the chocolate to graze on, I am lost.

2. Oh Lord: When I was pregnant and trying to guess whether the baby would be a boy or a girl (ah, the Big Question), I would watch a Lifetime movie here and there, or an episode of "Desperate Housewives" where Bree has a confrontation with her daughter, and I was like, man. I'm going to be happy either way, but oh, those girls. And I remember how vile I was when I was a teenager, how I could cut to the core with my acid tongue: basically I was a moody biotch throwing a lot of low blows. So, you know, I'm already guarded about Teenaged Kaleigh. I already know it won't be good. Especially considering the way times change--the little hellions only get worse, right? So, let's see, it's 2006 now; by the time Kaleigh's a teen it will be 2019 (yikes). One has to wonder what 2019's version of this will be.

By the way, I'm so ordering a copy in spite of the negative reviews, not just for the Scared Mom Factor, but also because I'm never going to grow up and I find things like this fascinating.

And by the way, I hate them for getting a book deal before their freshman year in college. And in their Today Show interview this morning, Katie Couric asked them if they planned to be writers, and they were all like, ohhh, I don't know, maaaaybe. Either way, they got a book published and it will probably be a best-seller if it's not already. Assholes.

3. Fuzzy World: I really am starving and have no idea what I'm going to eat for lunch. I can't focus. Because why? There is NO CHOCOLATE TO BE FOUND.

4. Huh?: I spent $15 this morning for the doctor to tell me to use an OTC remedy for Kaleigh's diaper rash. It was supposed to be a follow-up visit from her well-baby appointment last week. I don't get it. I mean, I'm not knocking the co-pay or anything, but why exactly did I have to go in then? For them to tell me it wasn't infected? But it wasn't infected last week, either.


5. Word on the Streets: I heard a rumor that mendacious got a new job? Tell us, mendacious, is it true??? And more importantly, what does this mean for your blogging life.





6. From the Gallery of Peanuts: Kaleigh wished for me to contribute the following on her behalf--"Gooo..." and "La!" I second that, my dear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent a whole bunch of those chocolate truffle numbers to the office this morning. You should have Scott bring them home. They were killing me. I was eating 10 a day. 10! I cannot have chocolate or coca-cola in the house. I'm like a goat with that stuff.

Somebody's Mom said...

The thing about those girls with the book.... they may never get past it. They will be thirty and people won't accept that they aren't in high school anymore.....or they will be forever trapped in their youth like they were in their own personal Twilight zone and have all the same petty tramas and issues.

now I can't get my mind off chocolate. Dark rich, melting on my tongue dark chocolate, maybe with a few almonds. Maybe with a little sip of brandy.

Anonymous said...

I am about to eat chocolate now. I've a piece that is about 1/2 inch square, Giradelli dark chocolate from Trader Joes. small yes. But all mine. Soon it will be melting in my mouth.
Try not to hate me because I have more chocolate than you.

Anonymous said...

On the note of doc's copays, I spent $30 to have the dermatologist tell me that I have acne - not some sort of infection on my skin as I suspected. Huh? I'm getting toward 30, and I have acne?? I thought it was a trade off - lose your 17-year-old slim hips but get rid of acne. Now I have hippo hips AND acne??? And I had to pay $50 for some scary moisturizer to get rid of it. It isn't helping. Sigh. I hate health insurance. And sometimes doctors. End of story.

P.S. Sorry for the too-much-information disclosure that I have a rash.