Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Great.

Dear Sarah Hepola,

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart down to my tippy toes for your recent Slate article about why you took down your blog. And in fact, I wanted to ask, can we be friends? It turns out, I really need more discipline in my life, and I think you're just the girl to help me. For instance, I blog way too much, not about things like "American Idol and my kitty cat," like you did, because well, for one, I just can't get into this latest season of 'AI,' in spite of my adoration of Simon Cowell, and two, I'm allergic to cats and therefore can't have one. I do tune into 'AI' every now and then just to see what bleary statement falls out of Paula's mouth next, for entertainment value, but I'm more prone to blog about everything else I watch (please refer to the following blog for an almost-complete list), and my two dogs. It's shameful, really, and I'm embarassed of my bad habit. And here I've been trying to pretend that blogging is Actual Writing. That blogging and commenting is actually a productive use of time, kind of like a daily regimen of mental calisthenics, not to mention an enjoyable cyber/social experience, rather than a behavior nastier than chewing off your own toenails instead of using a clipper.

But I think with your help, Sarah Hepola, you can get me back on the straight and narrow. Maybe even *gasp* get me to watch a little less TV--with the end result that I finally start writing The Great American Novel. So when I'm at the next high-falutin' gathering of publishers and writers, and they are in the midst of showering me with Ivy-laden compliments, I'll have a hearty "YES" to whip out of my back pocket, rather than a meek "no" to their next, inevitable question: "But do you have a book?"

Because I don't, Sarah Hepola, and I'm embarassed. Every writer needs a book, and let's be honest, my MFA thesis was cute and all, but no one's ever going to publish it. I need to get cracking, and clearly it's the blog that's sucking up all my precious time and talent, preventing me from The Only Goal a Writer Should Ever Have (a book deal), and not the fact that it isn't the right time for a book just yet. I used to think that writing a book required things like Inspiration and Drive, but now I know that all it really requires is the elimination of Useless Time-Suckers, such as blogs. Thank you for your insight; I'll credit you always. Maybe we'll do lunch?

XOXOXO
Your New Pal,
Penelope

P.S. My favorite line from your article, which I plan to print out, post on my mirror and refer to while brushing my teeth:

"At times, I started to feel that jokes and scenarios and turns of phrase were my capital, and that my capital was limited, and each blog entry was scattering more of it to the wind, pissing away precious dollars and cents in the form of punch lines I could never use again, not without feeling like a hack. You know: 'How sad. She stole that line from her own blog.'"

7 comments:

T. said...

Yeah, but didn't that article piss you off, frustrate you, yet ring nuggets of truth at the same time. Now I'm depressed.

mendacious said...

no, no it did not. THERE ARE NO NUGGETS. tom, do not believe her LIES. agents were calling her and she still did not write a book. agents are not calling us and you have a novel. we are NOT hacks for using the blog world as fodder- my story about killer snails, while it may make its way into a novel one day- will in no way diminish, bcs of its birth.

i believe she IS an asshat.
i believe she should be sent into the desert.

Anonymous said...

mmm. i love nuggets- a little salt/pepper and ketchup.

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking "I kind of feel that way sometimes" about some little bit. I can't remember what part it was though...even looking back on the article. Must have been a microscopic nugget for me.

Publishers calling you, that's the kind of thing you can't whine about, especially to the world in general. It makes others want to pull you in a dark alley and beat you up...

Anonymous said...

First of all, what makes her so noble about shelving the thesaurus? What's wrong with Rogets? Maybe if I stopped watching TV, I'd never need the thesaurus again.

Also, how sad is it that while Wonkette and Opinionista were getting book deals, she was THE LAST WOMAN left in the blogosphere. Or not.

That article should be titled "Why I Am Overcome With Self-Importance."

You bloggers are awesome. And don't you forget it.

penelope said...

YEAH! That's right.

Cue said...

Jesus christ, what is this woman's problem? Downer much? Goddamn. Well, now I'm going to link this to my own frickin' blog and go for a run. Which is what I seem to do everytime a negative thought rolls in these days.

I agree with Mendacious, though. If publishers were calling and I was all like, "hmm, nope, must write the blog instead of my book, sorry," that'd be a different story. In the meantime, this is how I gear up to do the other writing, so it's pretty damn valuable for me.

Argh! Asshat, indeed.