Tuesday, August 31, 2010

m,

DSC01258I took a bit of a trip down Memory Lane in order to find a Before picture of the master bedroom – which, of course, I couldn’t really. The best I could do is this picture of a super-charming 4 1/2-mos old baby with a wall in the background. It’s not the most photogenic room, light-wise, what can I say. As you can see, it used to be sagey green, painted over wallpaper (blech), and above the chair rail, it was off-white and never-painted, at least not in the past 5 years of our occupancy. There were sagey green curtains and blue (borderline offensive) blinds. It’s true. We didn’t buy them, but we didn’t replace them, either. We just accepted them, turning a – wait for it – blind eye. *cough*

While on Memory Lane, I discovered a few interesting truths. In spite of my statement the other day that it all passed in a blink, a lot of transformations happened. I mean, my kitchen used to be blue, really blue, with terrible green countertops and fruit-flower-wallpaper. Now it’s a cool yellow with freshly painted white trim and black granite tile countertops. And let’s not forget the awesomely refaced cabinetry. In short, it looks a whole hell of a lot better than when we inherited it. Also, I know you’ll find this shocking, but K.Lo used to be a baby. N.Lo, too. It’s amazing. And so many of the rooms have gone through furniture rearrangements, and color changes, and I can barely remember living in those spaces, though at the time I have to imagine that it was the way they were supposed to be, and I suppose I was perfectly happy with them. At least until I wasn’t.

So anyway, now the bedroom has been transformed. Gone with the blue blinds. Gone with the wallpaper. Moldings freshened. Curtains switched. Colors chosen and executed. Frankly, there was a good long moment there where I questioned the color choice, thinking this was not at all what I had in mind, in spite of my absolute certainty over it a few days prior. It seemed a color that Hannibal Lecter might really love. But then it dried and darkened, and then the off-white over the chair rail was freshened as well, and it was all brought together. I like it. It’s all sorts of neat and clean and warm loveliness, and long overdue.

 

P1050992

4 comments:

jenn said...

Love the new wall color! It must be so satisfying to slowly but surely make a place your own.

Anonymous said...

Love it!

schu said...

i like i like.
whether it stays yours or whether hobbits invade.

ashley said...

Oooh. Loveliness. I feel like there should be some sort of space-is-reflection-of-life comment here. But, you know, it's late. So I'll just say I really love the new paint colors.