Tuesday, August 24, 2010

m-dash,

I’ve violated some of our readers’ (they exist? perhaps) sensibilities again by looking ahead in the book I’m reading to see if the payoff’s worth it. Because I’m a girl with limited time and emotional energy and I don’t wish to waste it. Nor do I wish to be set up for a fall. Emotional maturity is arguably a factor here; why enter into a relationship I know in my heart will end badly? Right? Needless to say, the result of this peeking-at-the-surprise was not at all what I expected. Or maybe I subconsciously suspected, which is why I looked ahead. Really, I was looking for verification that the couple gets together, and ends up happy, because the book is totally billed as a romantic comedy. Lighthearted, but well-written, a When-Harry-Met-Sally-esque affair.

Except that one of the main characters DIES.

I mean… this is not what I signed up for. At all. And I’m torn, because like I say, the book is wonderfully well-written, lauded by Nick Hornby on the cover (always a good sign), quirky, and British. But, hello: Sally did not die in that movie. Therefore, this book is not the same. And it shouldn’t be the same, it should be different, of course it should be different, but that sort of different is a deal-breaker.

I think.

What to do. I’ve only got 3 days left with the book, and this hemming and hawing is not helping.

But it’s all made me wonder if death as a subject is something that I’m spiritually (relatively) okay with in theory, but not in actual, concrete terms. I mean, maybe it’s something we’re never really okay with in this life. I mean, obviously. It’s one of – or the only? – Big Question. It’s a subject I ponder just as much or more than average birds. And I can read about it… I think. But I have to sign up for it knowingly.

I guess I just don’t take it very lightly at all. Even if I wholeheartedly believe that it (life – I mean death) does end up completely okay in the end, unlike on Freaks&Geeks last night when L said her grandmother saw nothing just before passing away – what’s up with the spiritual vacancy, Judd Apatow, hmm? – it’s just… it doesn’t belong in romantic comedies. It doesn’t belong in the stuff you’re sitting down to relax and enjoy and escape with. Because even though the topic is ubiquitous and looming, I justcanthandleit sometimes. Or don’t want to try.

The number of books I’ve preemptively rejected because of this issue is becoming more than a handful. To which I say, oh well. C’est la vie. Or C’est la death, as the case may be.

Can I get a what-what?

yours,

penelope

9 comments:

almost anonymous said...

Um. I've totally peeked at the end of books. (HP #7, most definitely.) If I can't see how it's all going to work out in real life, at least I can prepare myself for the story version.

I got weird looks at work last week when I commented that, generally, I don't really mind movie spoilers. I think I like it better when I'm not guessing whether they're going to do x, y, or z. Or something else.

I do appreciate a good twist, although less so when "they" kill, maim, or damage a character I like :)

pen said...

Yes, exactly. The stress is too much to endure when one is trying to enjoy oneself. And since there are no true crystal balls in real life...

I typically love a spoiler. It gives me something to look forward to - or a reason to skip whatever it is altogether.

The only time I really don't love spoilers is reality show eliminations. The threshold of suspense is lower for that single hour of television, and I'd like to enjoy it, thank you very much.

pen said...

(And I looked ahead in HP#7, too. Shhh.)

mendacious said...

ugh. SPOILERS. BAH!!!!!!

(tsk. yeesh. and honestly!)
*snarf, eyeroll.

almost anonymous said...

M, I believe you're outnumbered at the moment ;)

pen said...

She is, which I wanted to point out as well, but I'm waiting for Andi to chime in, as I know she is a spoiler-hater.

We are Team HSP. Although, what will Ash say? Hmm.

Andria said...

hee. . just catching up on these comments. So glad I didn't disappoint you Pen with my long diatribe I just left in the comments on the next post; you know me well! ;)

Somebodys mom said...

I totally support reading a page or two or three at the end, or towards the end of a book. Yes, to see if is worth getting there. And since I don't have the luxury of sitting and racing through the book when it gets real interesting, a peak is like an snack that lets me put down the book, go back to work, go to bed etc. I have gotten thrown for a loop when the tuck a chapter from their next novel at the end of the book. Sometimes

ashley said...

I'm with you on this, Pen, although, I did not and would not and could not have looked ahead in HP #7. That would've been like breaking a sacred trust with JKR.

I do sometimes peak ahead in book, especially if I know I'm not really enjoying it and wonder if it's going to go to a place where I don't want it to? And also, I've blogged about my pet peeve which is the very sad movie masquerading as a happy one, aka, The Family Stone which is awful and tedious and depressing in every way possible.