Tuesday, August 17, 2010

m at work,

You’re there! How fancily unexpected. Hurrah!

I finished removing the masterbedroom wallpaper today, but not without snags. I *knew* it was going all too swimmingly. Maybe a 3-foot section under the window (and incidentally above the air vent) had mildew growing underneath it. There’s a reason mildew has “ew” in it. It made the removal more dicey and added in the extra step of trying to clean up said mildew. And then there was a crack in the drywall, that was a fun discovery as well. J.Lo’s going to patch it up tonight and we’ll slather it all with mildew killz or whatever and it will be fine. But it was still totally gross.

You’re speaking, by the way, with Spiedie Fest South’s 2010 Champion. Tied for first place. This year I marinated the little chicken spiedies for five whole days – which practically pickles them letsbehonest – and they came out just as they should. Yum.

And we went to the life + science museum yesterday, of which I’ll likely post pictures on Lo. Co. The butterfly house sticks with me most – butterflies everywhere! Magical. And the weather toys were fun. I wouldn’t mind the hurricane simulator in my living room, for instance. However, the cockroaches, I will leave. Why so many in one container were deemed necessary, I know not, but I suppose it had its effect.

I continue to ponder small towns where the townspeople seem *stuck* or embittered – should these places be avoided? Should one not even try to live there? Or should one assume that it’s a mixed bag of happy/unhappy, mean/kind, smart/dumb, just like everywhere else. And that one carves one’s own niche in spite of it all.

Also, I feel completely unmotivated, work-wise. I might be disillusioned. I have to think about it some more.

So tired. Will perhaps recover with a bit more sleep. And then we have to pick some paint colors for the master! Think light shades of cocoa.

xoxo

pen

6 comments:

almost anonymous said...

Winner!

mendacious said...

your world is crazy and unexpected.

i'd say carry the disillusionment until at least laborday. dwell in your spidie win a little longer. and the wallpaper success, snag or no, it smells like victory to me!

(and small town stuff is all over kathleen norris stuff... think of the novelist potential ;)

pen said...

novel potential. totes.

erin j said...

just fyi, we have a butterfly house here at airlie. AND i found out that airlie is free every second saturday... didn't know this until late saturday, but we are totally going next month!

somebody's mom said...

Before you cover over said mildewy surprise, why is it there? Where is the moisture coming from? You can spritz the mildew with rubbing alcohol to kill it before painting it over with Kilz.

ashley said...

Baking contest winner???! You are so full of surprises.