Tuesday, May 18, 2010

antM finales,

So… We all knew Teyon—oops, Krista,would win, right? And I do notice that in the last episode the editors work extra hard to make sure both girls are likeable enough to be a Cover Girl. (But do they ever air those commercials outside of the competition??) I did like both girls more by the end of the episode, Krista and her cute family – and her last picture (ugly/pretty) did kick ass, for sure. And Rainna and her geeky pictures of yore, and her complete, genuine confusion that her optimism seems to piss some people off. I kind of love her optimism, even though she half needs a smack. I just always wonder how hard people have to work at that perpetual upbeatness, or does it come as naturally to them as my prickliness comes to me? I mean, I am an optimistic individual much of the time, but not peppy. I guess that’s the difference.

So anyway, I think Krista probably did deserve to win, though at one point, and I’ll only say this in a whisper… she looked really old! It was one of the closeups, and I’m sure she didn’t have the proper amount spackle on her face to fight off the evil forces of HD filming. The fashion show was kind of fun! It could have been a major cheese-fest with the fun-flirty-fabulous thing, but I liked the oddness of the circus, somehow.

And I loved that – oh wait, have you watched the first hour yet? – in the airplane runway challenge, the Jays were like, um… none of y’all have any personality…? Soo, yeah. Because it’s true. I really did not love Alexandra’s attempt at “funky” during both that challenge and the runway. Angelea was a trainwreck as usual, but I do have to say I found myself a little teary at her goodbye, like even though she was a tool for the most part this season, she really has come a long way in her life, the little bunny. And I do hope she continues modeling, because she did book all those freaking go-sees. What was up with Krista practically gobbling up her jewelry win? I mean, I guess she had in mind to give duplicates to her friends at home, or something? It just painted her as unnecessarily greedy, but then again, I think that was exactly the purpose of that scene – let’s see what she does with the extras! Kind of like making sure those kids on MTV have plenty of alcohol while living in homes with no television or books or anything else to do.

Editing at panel –- totally disjointed for sure, but I would argue no more so than past seasons? Because they intentionally amp up the drama of the unknown. Surely there were more comments about Rainna and her linebacker walk, more snark about her lack of emotional depth, or something. Her lack of versatility in a worldwide market, which by the way I don’t agree with. I see her as versatile as Nicole from Cycle 6 or Kartarzyna, who is now a pretty badass model. Regardless—I think it came down that comment from both Tyra and Krista about her win being bigger than her? for her dark-dark skin. Which I can appreciate, to some extent, except that it disregards all past contestants/winners of color and pretends it’s something new. I’m just saying. It all goes back to the lack of personality overall in this entire Cycle (except for maybe the cult girl), and not having anything more interesting to say. Get a better *spiel,* girls – if you must. :)

on to the next season,

antPEN

2 comments:

mendacious said...

yah it is a yawn after all that- but i think its like all the funky fashion people with a twist sort of preyed on alex and brought her down. i could see them just feeding on her since she is just so classically beautiful and granted she needs to learn more about selling not just sex or beauty but still. her lack of personality may be the producers fault. they made her into milktoast on purpose... i mean there's a fine line btw whats the human story-nothing there? and then just bad story telling? but yah, its true-ive lost the will to care- over, next, whatevs. sigh.

pen said...

how bad was lech nigel's eyebrow raise and gushing over alex's body though? which, i agree, her body is amazing, but we can do without the lech.

i think the editors need to work at pulling up story for EVERY girl. because subtlety rocks! and if this season had any story at at all, it was the fights. and that was just ugly AND boring.

don't be lazy, producers! mine those characters!