Monday, May 24, 2010

m of redesign,

I’ve taken a book hiatus for the sake of one, short book that I just picked up from a weeks-long waitlist. It’s a YA. It’s good. Not much else really exists outside of the book. I should push myself to get more accomplished during the day, like writing for work or laundry or whatever. I do what I do. Summer seems to be hovering in the wings. I haven’t been to church for one reason or another for like 3 weeks or a month. We had turnips in our produce box last week and I made some carrot/turnip/cheese thing that J.Lo hated, which somehow offended me deeply. I can’t even explain. All’s forgiven now, but still. I’m wary of next week’s beets. The caterpillars continue to eat the cabbage, and a fine feast they’re having. The regular super-hardware-store doesn’t carry BT, so we have to find it elsewhere. In the meantime, we pick them off, but they’re like silent, green whack-a-moles, they just keep appearing. I’ve thought about reigniting our writing group, moving it to a platform like tumblr or something, since ning’s now charging, but then that would mean I’d actually have to write. Which I have ideas for, but I don’t know if I’m ready for. If that makes sense. Am I rambling? Totally. I watched Greys on Thursday and then Precious on Friday, which was decidedly a traumatic combo that I’m still recovering from, but I can’t say they weren’t well-told stories. I’ve managed to find a way to semi-wean (hate that word, wean, it’s like weenies) myself off FB, I delete maybe 75% of my emails without even reading them (all the non-personal ones), I refuse to read comments on any sort of news story or professional blog post anymore because people are stupid and mean and make me sick. And I’ve remained peripherally informed of the oil spill disaster, but mostly it makes me lightheaded so I can’t think about it too much because what are we supposed to do. Chicken stirfry tonight. Thunderstorms all week and an almost-full moon. Kickboxing this morning for the first time in years. I did okay in that I lived, but we’ll see how I recover and if I return. That’s all I’ve got, for now.

-pen

3 comments:

mendacious said...

i love your rambles.

almost anonymous said...

Ugh. I have only kept up peripherally on the oil spill, since it both depresses and infuriates me.

Yay, writing group! But WTF Ning? Like there aren't other free options? Sheesh. (And I'm totally working my way through my draft...s-l-o-w-l-y...so maybe someday it will at least have a once-over so other people can read it. With or without the holes I still have to fill.)

pen said...

Yeah, ning's turning lame. It's only $3/month, but I'm against it in principle! Maybe a private blog on one of those sites like tumblr or posterous - can't you post directly from email? The less fuss, the better. Glad you are still working on your draft!

M, I'm glad you love my rambles, because I have lots of them.