Tuesday, May 11, 2010

m soon to be 34,

Gray skies, strangely cool temps, drizzly rain. And I’ve already finished a post for le anti-slavery blog, and that never happens so early in the day during the work week. I suppose that’s to make up for the post I wrote last week that took 3 full days. Re: the volatile weather, I’m going to call “hurricane” this season. Maybe we’ll get a new roof out of it, because it’s totally going to be torn to bits – although Baby Jesus, if you’re listening, make sure insurance covers that one completely, if it comes about. Please and thank you.

But I digress. Tomorrow is Wednesday, which is the day of the produce box. The magical produce box. Really, it’s everything I’ve ever dreamed of: veggies and fruits from farms around the state, delivered to your door. And for a reasonable price! Last week was sweet potatoes and new potatoes and spinach and strawberries and cabbage. This week, I picked the box whose contents will be a surprise.

The yard sale was a moderate success, with a lot of traffic (and we didn’t even put an ad in the paper this time? hmm) and a lot of things sold, except they were sold for a really low price so I maybe made $50. J.Lo made more with his giant folder of CDs. The mind boggles at what people buy and don’t buy and how you can never predict. Like last time the movies went like hotcakes, and this time they were even cheaper, but most remained. And the books! All were in awesome condition and cheap as could be, but I had few takers. Oddness.

Speaking of cleaning house, and it was lovely to clear out the piles, I’ve also cleaned up my FB friend list with the rule of: friendly? not friendly? If you’re not friendly, you’re gone. Mainly this assessment applied to high school classmates. Because seriously, why waste the time.

And I also departed the moms’ group I joined in January, as schedule-wise and expectation-wise, it wasn’t what it cracked up to be.

So I kind of feel lighter this week.

I like our book. I loathe my fish tank when it drizzles. I anticipate buttery cabbage deliciousness with dinner. And maybe an iced coffee this afternoon.

pen

4 comments:

almost anonymous said...

The produce box sounds awesome. One of those "little" things that make life so happy.

We're cleaning out the office, and I've also had the compulsion to clean out FB friends. But there's the whole questions of them re-friending me and the friends we have in common. I think there needs to be a way to layer it. Actual friends and a room for everyone else that you can wander into if you're bored. Or something.

pen said...

I love the idea of layers. :) The people I cleaned off -- I friended them all, so maybe it's rude to unfriend? However, after months of no interaction whatsoever, I doubt they care, hence the unfriending. I've had a few unfriend me where I wonder if running into them sometime would be awkward? Those unfriendings I don't get. That's what the "hide" button's for.

Oh, FB. Sometimes I wish I could break up with you altogether.

~sarah said...

I agree with the FB thing! I have been wondering about unfriending a few people for the same reasons - all people who found me though, not the other way around. Not that they ever interact with me. Or I with them. And now add all the creepy "auto connections" to pages and website and stuff and it feels like the whole world has access to your page. I really wouldn't mind breaking up with FB either, except then I would have no social calendar... Bah.

pen said...

Same - I think about good connections I *have* made from FB, and the fact of the social calendar, and it keeps me in. I would miss out on some things I definitely do value and want to be a part of.

Damn FB.