Monday, May 3, 2010

Pen-technical

I have this brain gap which I'm sure is what kept me out of mensa but whatever. What is the name of the skill that I lack? No, seriously. I'm logical and yet this is a complete blackout. For instance the famous xmas light installation of '99 or whenever, when i looked at a square stick and wondered which side would be best to put the nail into. And then of course the - slow - realization that, um, all sides are equal dumbass. And then this brings me to now where I string 10 rows of persnickety tiny holed beads and think, actually think to myself I can tie knots inbetween the beads later so I string them all together toget the look and then try to do exactly what i wanted... only to realize that 'reality' how i imagined it and how 'reality' actually is- is completely disparate. What is the skill, the intelligence name, of what I'm lacking. It is some tricky line I'm sure that makes me more artist than not but its this tick that I think must explain everything about me.

Oh, also not turn the subject away from me, but I'm pretty excited about all the growing things at your house. I bought peanuts but nomenclature is no where to be seen. I suppose it makes it more special in a fleeting, ships crossing in the night sort of way, but still. Also I have a nagging question about lunch and exercise. And after having watched 4 hours of netflix or so (and antm) last night I did manage to finish restringing the beads, to what end I know not, but it's done. I laid in bed for at least an hour pondering that I should've just meditated despite the lateness of the hour, but didn't. Anyway, let me know if you think of the name, because really, I want to know, I can at least add that to an explanation of me, or a whimsical anecdote, whichever.

Wish I was next door,
m.

5 comments:

pen said...

i think it's "mechanical?" and i lack something similar. my brain does not understand physics, for example. and weather patterns. all the other sciences - i rocked their faces off. in high school.

but it might not be mechanical.

i'm going to have to post about antm. i see it coming.

Andria said...

So you didn't do so hot on predicting the pattern from the folded paper with a hole punched out?
hmm, "mechanical" excellent call. I would not have been able to come up with that one, but looking into it a bit, I think that might be the term - that or Spatial is more what I was thinking about with the visualizing with lights and beads incidents. There are Mechanical, Clerical and Spatial aptitude tests and here's an example of some sample questions I found.
http://www.aprtestingservices.com/business/wtma/sample.php

that brings you back, eh?

pen said...

good work! i was trying to find that info from the tests of yore, and came up short. spatial might really be it...

mendacious said...

yes, but where is the answer key to the sample questions? otherwise it does me no good. i was excited too! no seriously are they there and i just don't see them?

... i looked up a few other free tests. i think its definitely mechanical, and maybe a dash of spatial, but overall i tested pretty good in spatial, because i can read a map. i'm oriented to space and direction, and i can match shapes really well usually. its hard also because of my parents i've picked up physic like principles and mechanical knowledge? which are definitely not innate- like knowing that 2 things dropped from the same height fall at the same rate of speed... they do right? and things like 'force' and viscocity' effect things- oil/water- a canonball shot from a canon v. a ball being dropped...and one of the questions asked me to identify which materials to use and i knew a rubber mallet was better for joining a wood frame so it wouldn't damage it... sigh. so my parents were good for something. hmm. will wonders never cease. ;)

mendacious said...

oh ps. i love weather. i actually got an A in meteorology in college. mmm, maritime polar fronts.

what about patterns didn't you get? like hot/cold pressure systems and such or?