Wednesday, September 24, 2008

pondering the doom and the gloom.

*Update! Emily was right, it was just renovations, and frankly, I’m so relieved. Because that Cali Avocado sandwich today was the BEST EVER. Although, decidedly smaller, for the same price. Looks like the paint and the drink machines weren’t the only renovations they made… They did give me a whole plate of pickles for K.Lo, no extra charge, so I can’t complain.

I don’t know the scoop on MG or OTB. It seems very strange to me, since they were always busy, and such a huge chain.

Kim had some disconcerting food for the thought the other day over at My Biz, about how, not to be panicky or anything, but things are looking pretty grim these days? And my thoughts are that I’m generally pretty resistant, myself, to punching the Panic Button. These things are cyclical, and it may take some years, but what goes down must come up, and all of that. It will be okay, right now, and get better eventually. But I do kind of hate it. The general air of *bleak,* the wild places my imagination goes, etc. For self-preservation purposes, I have to simply filter a lot of the news out, and focus on our own little microcosm. Have to.

ABClogoBut man. When typically hopping restaurants all of a sudden go out of business? It really does disturb me. My friend told me today that Atlanta Bread, Macaroni Grill, and On the Border are all closed. Not to mention Artisan Cafe, and WOW (the wings place). And Bar-B-Cutie across the street. Not to mention Linens-N-Things. All these restaurants/stores are in a pretty well-to-do area of town, with regular, heavy traffic (okay, maybe LNT was always dead, whenever I went, but still). I myself don’t even go out to eat a whole lot, and Atlanta Bread was a huge fav.

I’m really bummed about that one. Is it true, guys? I haven’t been over there in a few weeks. I guess it’s got to be true. Not that I’m not just as bothered when the mom-and-pop shops go out, but there’s something so foreboding about big chain stores and restaurants sinking, and all at the same time?  I’ll try not to think about it too much, because it is what it is, and as a sensitive soul, this is the sort of thing that could easily keep me up at night, when there’s nothing I can really do… Bah. I just want to know where I’m going to get my soup in a bread bowl now, not to mention my California Avocado sandwich. MAN. 

 

 

7 comments:

erin j said...

LNT was going to close anyway, the mother ship went bankrupt. but ABC...MAN...i'm pissed! that area of town is becoming a ghost town. it is quite disconcerting. scary too...sigh...

mendacious said...

i suppose you're just going to have to come to california for your avocado now ;P

and i wonder though if, yes it is something to panic about, or its a symbol of over inflating your economic worth and not being fiscally responsible. it's like corporately the key is "expansion" when really it shouldn't be necessarily. it's hard to sustain that sort of homogeneous method of running things without flagships sometimes going under... or is it just me and my limited understanding of economics? i'm reading this book on how small pox was wiping out the americas, and making way for coloniZation bcs they weren't genetically strong enough-- or rather VARIED enough... it gives one thought... but i've already gone on like way enough.

you better find a good place for me to eat when i come and we can philosophize more.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, we tried to go to ABC like a week ago and there were signs saying it was closed. Surprised and bummed, we turned back to leave and happened to pass two managers on their way in, and they said it was v. temporary and they'd reopen after that weekend, something about remodeling and permitting. I'm going to hold out hope.

penelope said...

really??? i hope that's true! thanks!

Andria said...

The Zaxby's right in front of us just up and closed and I'm still bummed about it. Hope your ABC was just getting a facelift. It is rather bleak these days. . and fairly frightening, if you allow yourself to think about it. So, instead, let's keep talking about TV drama!

Anonymous said...

Really? Macaroni Grill? I mean, its not like it my fave place or anything, but it always seems packed in there. Hmm.

I think On the Border is owned by the same company, so maybe they're going under??

Anonymous said...

Yay, glad to know it's still open. Too bad they're charging more for a smaller sandwich though.