Monday, September 29, 2008

IN LEIU of...

Last night i had this weird dream that I was trying to get to the LA Flower Market, and I was biking down there, talking to my cousin on the phone. Then while cutting thru a park I ran into my childhood friend's sister, who didn't recognize me at first, and she finally did and ran up before I left, and said, pray for me because my head is... and she was getting upset, and I nodded like I understood, about how she couldn't quite make quick connections. It took me a while to get out, bcs it was a maze of chainlinked fences, and I kept looking for a bucket, because I was completely unprepared to go to the Flower Market, and finally the girl that was with the sister and her friends, wanted to come with me thru the gate, but I pushed her back and gave her a crayon. Then I was in this beautifully gilted hallway that opened up into alcoves in rooms full of old books- think gold, wood inlay... and it was misting inside the rooms. And I thought all this mist is going to ruin the books, but I thought how odd and beautiful the mist is.... then there were these 2 girls. And I had to knock one unconscious, which I did with the end of an umbrella, a couple times because she kept waking up.... and the other girl and I ran off... onto another portion of the dream. That or my cat marley pawed my face and woke me up.

But what I was really going to blog about was, after 8 years of having plastic underwear drawers I finally freaked out and got a grownup vanity dresser- which I got in the as/is section at IKEA- the stain was this awful driftwood color with grey tones, which apparently they call "antique stain" so I stripped it, took off the hardware, restained it and the laquered it... hardware forth coming. For now, I just like the blank clean look-- and then having looked at the pic, I'm freaked out by the clutter, but there's nothing I can do about that right now. Then I went over to my friend Joanna's- and she had the same style of dresser but in desk form-- and it didn't look as hideous as my dresser.... but now, it beautifully shines. It's good to own a hand sander, stain and laquer, bcs then you can brazenly buy expensive furniture and just say- eh, i'm gonna change it.

5 comments:

~sarah said...

nice. :) i definitely prefer ikea's unfinished stuff to their finished. my dresser is ikea but since it was unfinished it was NOT particle board, real wood baby, and just feels nicer. after staining it, it's lasted and been loved for almost 5 years now. : )

interesting dream too, btw. i miss the ones where we fight dragons together.

Kurt said...

Classy. Keep on keepin it real, Men.

Anonymous said...

Nice dresser. Weird dream :)

penelope said...

I like the part about knocking the one girl unconscious with an umbrella.

What kind of hardware? Something more contemporary? Or antique. I like the new color, it's a total upgrade.

Anonymous said...

Wow.
Put a couple of buckets in Lolly now! And snippers and scissors and florists tape and wire and the pretty ribbon.
Whew. So you had the dream after we read that chapter in Erec Rex about the flow of water in the billiard room or was it predictive?
Cool dream.