Wednesday, March 25, 2009

dashed

So I’ve been dreaming about this house for months now, knowing, or so I thought, that on March 23rd a contest would begin to win it. I had the page bookmarked, and the date set in my mind. Note that I know full well I will not win this contest, but the fact that a date actually adhered itself to my brain for awhile with an actual corresponding event attached is noteworthy. It was kind of important. So this week I go to enter the contest, which is actually a Choose Your Home Giveaway where you pick one of four homes that you would like to live in. But then I start to notice that it’s not actually the same home, the Idea House that was a total dream in my mind. It’s a smaller cabin-style house in the same development as the Idea House. And none of the four giveaway houses is actually any bigger than the one we currently own; they are the same size or smaller. So, beggars can’t be choosers, but I feel misled. The magazine never actually said that the Idea Houses were the giveaway houses, but it was strongly implied throughout the ad campaign leading up to the contest. I feel a little bit like the imaginary rug in the imaginary house’s foyer has been pulled out from under my little dream. The word lame comes to mind. I’m still entering the contest, twice a day as is allotted, and will choose the mountain house as my intended destination. But rather than be the new house where I’ll live when I don’t win, it will have to be the house we actually *go away* to when we have the chance, and possibly set up as a timeshare, and then maybe someday we will retire there. I have no idea why I feel let down about something that was never going to happen to begin with, but I do. Because if you’re going to dream impractical dreams, I feel the dream should be fully impractical, and not just partially impractical, with no third bedroom, upstairs book nook, or circular back porch, not to mention a smaller master bath.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should send your blog to the magazine/contest sponsors. Yup. Let them know whose eyes they are not pulling the wool over!

penelope said...

Totally! I thought about it. Think it will hurt my chances? :)

The more I think about it, the more I do love the idea of a little craftsman cabin. It wouldn't be the same as the big fancy house, but it would definitely be a cozy retreat.

Anonymous said...

Big means a lot of hiding places for stuff and lots of space to clean. I'm already envisioning the loosing my glasses at the new house and wandering for hours until I forget what it was I was looking for.

mendacious said...

i'm voting for small house over large house... but aw, shenanigans about how it all went down.

we must invest ourselves in dreams.

Andria said...

sadness!

I dream about the big new homes around here sometimes. . I just want to know what you use so many rooms for?! Although, I think I could fill them up just fine, it's still baffling. But, it's so out of the realm. . they all start in the 600Ks. Plus, they are all jammed right on top of each other, which is not appealing. If I had that kind of money I would not want to be squeeze on the side of the main road between 4 other massive homes. You could spit on your neighbor's house and there's not even enough room for a lawn mower in between!

hmm, word verification: unstop