Sunday, March 1, 2009

recent findings, (in)conclusions

  • I do not, nor possibly will I ever, enjoy brown rice.
  • Same goes for whole grain pasta, although I *might* give it another chance.
  • Until then, I plan to fully enjoy my nutritionally valueless refined pastas and rice. Yum.
  • Most of the other grains I eat are whole, with no HFCS. I know too much to eat differently, anymore.
  • It’s very difficult to find hot dog buns without HFCS. Even from the grocery store bakery, you still might not find them.
  • Antiperspirants make my underarms hurt (random? or is it), so I’ve switched, as an experiment, to all-natural deodorant.
  • I’ve tried two different kinds, and one works just fine, although it’s not summer yet. If you know what I’m saying. My underarms felt much better.
  • The other kind totally still make my underarms feel weird, and I swear that it made my boob hurt, too. A lot.
  • Just because you can’t google the pain, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
  • I’m kind of lucky that I don’t sweat much, though.
  • Not exercising aids this issue. There’s a positive. Of not exercising.
  • Although, I did exercise twice this past week. For the first time in forever.
  • Organic Braeburn apples are stop-in-your-tracks tasty.
  • Costco is still the most convenient place for me to buy produce. Even if it’s mostly not organic, and definitely not local.
  • Whatever. It’s like, wherever and whenever possible.
  • I love dark chocolate, a whole lot.
  • Farm-fresh eggs? Yes.
  • Pure & Natural soap smells really good and comes in a container with baby’s breath seeds in it. You can plant the container, for real, and thusly enjoy the plant.
  • However, despite its Pure & Naturalness, it still makes me break out.
  • Aveeno soap remains the only soap that doesn’t make me break out. Fragrance or fragrance-free, doesn’t matter. Aveeno, thumbs-up.
  • J.Lo hates the Mrs. Meyer’s dish soap I bought, which is rhubarb-scented. Upon further examination, I don’t blame him. Will probably donate said dish soap to a better cause.
  • The glass and countertop cleaners, however, are not not as offensive. And, they work.
  • I still use bleach to clean the bathroom, occasionally. Don’t foresee this habit changing. Mainly because it works. Kicks the shit out of some mold and germs.
  • Are you still listening? I totally don’t blame you if you aren’t.
  • Actually, I’m not sure we have a substantial blog audience anymore, anyway.
  • Everyone’s on Facebook, or else living their “offline lives,” or whatever.
  • And that’s fine. I’m glad that, in addition to a Facebook account and a life offline, I still have a journal.
  • And a space that is just Pen & M’s.
  • However, if you are still listening, we love you.
  • I can’t think of anything else to say. And it’s bedtime.

Penelope out!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm buying foods with as little sugar in them as I can find. Love brown rice! Really yummy with butter and brown sugar, which just might cancel the healthy factor.
Simple Green is great for so many cleaning jobs including the stove and those oily spots on my shirt because I forgot to use my cool apron (also requires some rubbing with bar soap).
Baking soda is really good for tasks when you want a little abrasiveness.

my word verification is joyyeb; fun

Anonymous said...

Ah, you still have your hard-core dedicated readers for life :)

might have the word verification beat, joyyeb? mine was shree! xD

erin j said...

you're on my rss feed, so i get to see if you've written daily! ;)
have you tried the multi grain barilla pasta that has the omega 3 fatty acids in it? i also don't mind the barilla (or is it barillo?)whole wheat pasta. i cook it 2 minutes longer than it says on the box and it's decent. i will NEVER like the brown rice... it's gross... sorry.
i'm curious where the apples were from seeing as they are out of season. i like a braeburn...they are tastey!
jerry got this toilet bowl cleaner (because our toilets have some massive hard water/calcium/nastiness build up)that ws 99 cents...and had a warning label that made me want to flee, but dang our toilet is super clean. otherwise we use full cirle or 7th generation.
just because a soap is homemade or whatever, doesn't mean it's not toxic. i mean poison ivy is organic too... i can only use dove soap...

my verification is the sound that i made the first time i smelled the toilet bowl cleaner:
garksts

penelope said...

Aw, blog love!
I've been meaning to try simple green. I could use something good for the stove.
I haven't tried the barilla multi-grain or whole wheat, but will. Barilla is usually my fav, regardless.
The braeburns! were at Harris Teeter, and I picked them up because they were $1.49 a pound. Didn't expect much, since they're not my favorite apple (up there, but not my favorite), and they're out of season. But seriously, the flavor! I was super impressed.
I had never considered putting brown sugar on rice! Hmm. That actually doesn't sound too bad...

Anonymous said...

I like Trader Joe's whole wheat organic pasta, but apparently it's disgusting if you overcook it.

If I found something that worked as well on the mildew in the bathroom, I'd gladly switch from the bleach/Tilex/whatever.

I like brown rice, but I haven't been able to get the right consistency when I cook it at home. Possibly because I bought the cheap store-brand brown rice...

penelope said...

Our town is in big need of a Trader Joe's!

Anonymous said...

Every town needs a Trader Joe's. I can't figure out how I survived college without one.

Niki said...

I am 100% with you on the dark chocolate - I love it so much I refuse to eat milk chocolate unless it's the fancy kind.

And while I love brown rice and whole wheat pasta, I understand the feeling. I have tried and tried soymilk and rice milk, but I just can't get used to them and I think I've given up for good. Sorry, cows.

Also, your HFCS crusade makes me feel validated in my trans fat crusade. My boyfriend once told me that if we ever got in a fight he would intentionally eat a bunch of trans fat just to spite me!

The anti-perspirant situation has me concerned. I read once a long time ago that they caused some sort of terrible disease. I have no idea whether this is still true, but now that you have these strange symptoms, maybe it's time to make the switch?

Could I write a comment as long as your post? Yes, but I'll spare you.

penelope said...

We're going to annoy everyone on the Smartini retreat if we start talking crusades, aren't we? :)

Niki said...

Probably, but I will secretly adhere to my trans-fat free ways and even sneak a peek at a label or two if I must! We could just commandeer the grocery situation and make it a moot point...but something tells me the other girls may not appreciate that. : )

penelope said...

How could they not appreciate HFCS and trans-fat free foods?? Farm fresh eggs! 60% cacao chocolate bars!

I've become a nut. :)

Andria said...

as long as we can use milk chocolate or semi sweet (rather than dark?) chips in the cookies you'll make us, Nik, we can skip the soy milk and brown rice and at least look at the labels for HFCS and trans fats. No promises, though on avoiding them entirely. It is an indulgent retreat afterall.