Monday, March 16, 2009

30-31: Reflections

Overall, I’d give 30 a thumbs-up, though I generally have better luck with the odd-numbered birthdays. Which is a positive for this upcoming year, right? I just like being in my 30s, so much better than the 20s, and especially better than the teens. It’s like I’ve *arrived.* Like this is who I am supposed to be. Although I still have many, many moments of uncertainty and other imperfections, I feel like it is generally a wiser, more productive era of penelope. I feel a better sense of direction and purpose over the present and future. Nothing *big* happened this year, for which I am honestly, entirely grateful. I’ve had a lot of bigness crammed into a very small amount of time, and I’m preferring to let the results of that bigness (marriage, home, children) unfold just as they are for a little while before I invite more in.

Meanwhile, I have nothing *big,* per se, planned for this year, either, but a lot of small things, which tend to culminate into something. I will read, I will exercise. I’ll do a few house projects and spend time outside, and garden. I’ll try to pry myself away from Facebook more, but will keep writing on my blogs, which is important. Will appreciate good relationships. Eat well. Maybe plan a family trip? I’d like to go camping, at least. Listen to self, tend to self, taking especially into account my own limits. And weather storms small and large, remembering that they all do pass, that the sun will eventually shine.

Today, I’m thinking: Nikki’s sushi for dinner with J.Lo. Ponder the brilliant shadowbox. And maybe figure out some sort of a chocolate sauce, for which I have some strawberries.

5 comments:

mendacious said...

sounds like a fabulous outlook and i look forward to all penelope related things in the coming year.

Anonymous said...

Very easy chocolate sauce. Can of sweetened condensed milk warmed, add 1/2 bag of chocolate chips. stir until melted. If you like a thinner sauce, add a little Kalua or maybe triple sec or water for the g rated version.

Hope all your birthday wishes come true!

penelope said...

I'm loving the idea of kahlua...

Andria said...

mmm, Kalua.

excellent. just be. be well.

Anonymous said...

Gah, happy belated birthday! One year I'll learn to actually say "Happy Birthday" ON your birthday...and everyone else's...*hides in a corner*