Wednesday, November 29, 2006

weird 6 by m.

it's like how weird do you get really? mwah.

1. i compulsively turn on/off lights. during dusk i turn on lights bcs i don't want to reenter a dark room, however i will go around the house after dark and turn off lights in certain rooms and leave them on in others. also i hate porch lights bcs it's light pollution and most street lights too. when flying overhead in chicago i imagined the city 1/2 lit. i loathe florescent lighting and would rather sit in a dimly lit office than have my retinas burned. and if i can i will turn them off even when the coworkers nicely say, oh but you don't have to sit in the dark... the strange looks i get when i say 'i prefer it' never ceases to amaze me. the presence of such lights also contributes to my dislike of superstores like walmart and target and i always tie that and linoleum together. i am constantly amazed at the heat candles give off, i love fire and when i have my mag flashlight and am walking in the dark when camping i wish i knew morse code so i could tap out something significant like a sonnet or maybe an ode. i do however love the glistening of sun on the water and the sharp light of winter. once at a temp job there was a light switch in a hallway that seemed not to be going anywhere. so i flipped it off everytime i went to the restroom. my boss caught site of me doing it one day and apparently i'd been plunging a hallway down the way into darkness. served them right for bad wiring. that's what i say. also the lights in my garage are wired wrong and and they don't switch off in order and it drives me nuts. but not in that specially certifiable way.

2. i very frequently used to have, and sometimes still have, dreams about casting out demons but not in people but in their ethereal forms. in the name of jesus, very fiercely and intensely, and very real in a dark empty space. i once woke up holding my bible.

3. speaking of the intangible more times than i can count people come to me with the phrase "i've never told anyone this before but..." and it usually involves them telling me about how they are being haunted or how their houses have been haunted.

4. i have a strange way of telling people things about themselves they didn't want to tell me and unfortunately usually flippantly and in 'what if' or 'at least your not' scenarios. it's made for a few awkward wide eyed revelations.

5. my mom reminds me that though she thinks the fact that i don't like olives is weirder, weirder still is that i have a hair birthmark- one patch on the right side of my head about the width of a quarter. it's jet black and apparently is greying faster than all the other hairs on my head.

6. and sadly i have a diminished sense of smell and one day will try to improve it with a nose job. i blame my father's second hand smoke, the smog of the 80's and asthma and a cramped womb for my crooked nose. good times. consequently this explains why salt in large portions has always been appealing. and i have a serious ear sensitivity issue. i myself i'm sure make noise while doing things like chewing, and since i compulsively fidget i know those things make noise- however my mother's noises drive me irrationally nuts- her cracking jaw, her loud yawns, the clicking her wooden knitting needles make.... the turn signal clicker in the car, people gulping water and gasping as if they were dehydrated and on the point of death, the sound of teeth against metal forks, ambient wirrring sounds, buzzing, audio feedback from a bad adapter, oh and mom swirling her ice cubes in the glass- sure i used to endlessy blow bubbles in chocolate milk, drain the cup like it was gold and mercilessly tap on pans... still. if the whole world would quiet down that would be great. did i also tell you i'm an advocate of decreasing noise pollution globally? oh and refrigeration machines cycling on. i HATE that!

fin~
i tag kurt, oh silent one. and cue oft gone one. just to perhaps rally them... and really enquiring minds want to know.
my love, mqa.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am bothered by noise, which is rich, considering that I am one of the loudest people I know.

I love constant, humlike noises: a ceiling fan, QVC, etc; things that drown out other sounds.

I hate rhythmic or sudden sounds: snoring, sirens, eating, breathing, telephones, alarms, pagers.

I also detest too much volume: cacophony in a restaurant, music or television being played too loud.

Also, words repeated too often: can you hear me? Can you hear me? Can you hear me?

Anonymous said...

I hate the refrigeration cycling on and off.

Is it weird that I find so much normalcy in our weirdness?

~sarah said...

i prefer to sit in the dark vs. flourescent lights at work. also get the "you don't have to sit in the dark" looks. thankfully i have an office now where i can work by candle light if i so choose.

also, i have an over-developed sense of smell. i'm always picking up on things no one else smells until we're right next to it. there is definately a certain smell only certain people have that offends me - not b.o., just a smell, ferramones maybe? - at any rate, i've learned not to judge solely based on that...now. : )

mouth noises, enhanced by too much saliva, annoy me to no end.

i've never told anyone this before... but i can relate to your dreams and "hauntings."

actually, i have told other people that before, but i just wanted to say it. we need to talk about that script. : )

penelope said...

Today I gulped a bunch of water, involuntary gasped, and thought of you.
xo! pen

Anonymous said...

Kurt cannot accept your tag at this time.

Somebody's Mom said...

I am twirling ice cubes in a glass as I type this.