Friday, November 3, 2006

See ya, Roller Girl

I guess I'll miss the unruly hair and good-times vibe of Jessica, or "Flica," as she's called, on Survivor. Truth be told, though, I wasn't that attached. Probably she'd be a cool person to hang out with in real life, but on Survivor, eh. It always kills me when someone shows up on Survivor under the mistaken impression that it's all about living like they're on a happy-go-lucky commune, rather than competing for a million dollars. Like they've never seen the show before, or their being there, in it, is all some weird and funny mistake. I mean, I guess Jessica could have flown under the radar, had she chosen to shut her yap a little more. She might even have made it to the top few, had she played her cards right--or had she chosen to play a hand at all.

Secretly, I was glad to see Ozzy stick around, even though clearly he's a big threat. He's likable, he's kinda hot, and he's a huge provider of not only fish, but coconuts--which he climbs all the way up the limbless trees for, and even a big bird. Although, the bird was kind of sad. I am and will forever be a carnivore, but man, the poor thing was sleeping when Ozzy grabbed him. Ozzy's contributions are also quite key in winning tribe challenges, or at least putting forth a valiant effort. He's likable enough as well that should he go far in this game, like say to to the Final Two, I don't foresee that the vote for the mil would be hard. At this point I'd venture to say that I'll be rooting for him in future eps. Provided he doesn't do anything stupid.

I was pleased during Tribal Council at the response to the question Jeff posed regarding the remixing of the tribes from racially divided to a mixed bag. The general consensus was that in the end, people will bond inexplicably based on personality, not race, that you just never know who you'll have chemistry/connection with, or why. Go figure. Common sense is so oddly refreshing these days.

Also "refreshing" must have been the wicked storm Adam was stuck in during his stay on Exile Island. Luckily the guy was smart enough to fortify the pirate ship prop and hide as well as he could. I'm definitely not so opposed to Adam as in previous weeks, despite his big, dumb frat boyness, though I'm not sure why... he hasn't seemed as attitudinous as he was previously? I guess we'll see.

3 comments:

Matt said...

The fact that Flicka survived as long as she did after letting the chicken escape shows how far the show has evolved. That happened in the first episode, and if this was season one or two, she would have been on a rail out of Survivorville. But, this new breed of competitors, they're all, for the most part, cool customers. They all know what they need to do to win, and they're not going to let some stupid chicken-freeing hippie get in their way. Keep her around a couple episodes, and then when you don't need her anymore, off with her head. Which, ironically, is probably what would have happened to the chicken had it not been freed.

I am glad she is gone. I didn't really feel as though Flicka offered anything. Pen's assessment that she wasn't really playing the game is correct. I too was impressed with Ozzie in this episode. I had been lukewarm on him from the start, but among the coconuts and bird catching and epic swimming talent, I'm impressed. Plus he's not an ass. Which is always a bonus in this game.

I'm still rooting for Jonathan. After all, us writers have to stick together, but he doesn't exude trustworthiness so he's probably gone after the merge.

Daniel Bruckner said...

Has any of you guys been wondering where Yul has been hiding the idol?

And also where'd he pull out those glasses? Haven't seen those before. Unless there's a Lenscrafters on the island, that boy knows some tricks

penelope said...

You didn't see the Lenscrafters tiki kiosk near the water source? Advertisers are really going to some lengths these days.

Actually, I thought that was weird, too--and that he was wearing them during the challenge? Kind of impressive.