Wednesday, January 7, 2009

furthermore

I cannot stop with the resolutions! Maybe they’re not so much resolutions at this point, but more To-Do’s, or Would Like To Do’s, for 2009.

  • Find a new picture/print/painting for the kitchen. Am sick of Starving Artists cafe pic with ill-proportioned people.
  • Garden again, but better this year. Add another bed, amp up the soil, picks lots of good veggies. And water that thing!
  • Also, and I would like to do this soon, start an indoor herb garden. Particularly basil. Maybe just an indoor basil garden.
  • Cook more from scratch, which as you can see is on my sidebar, for the moment. I’ll perhaps post on this periodically, so you can mock my insanity. Like tonight I made enchiladas, with homemade sauce AND tortillas. That’s right. I will say on the tortillas, hope J.Lo enjoyed them, because that will never happen again. They were tasty. But difficult. And ultimately not worth the effort. On the other hand, the sauce was fantastic.

That is all, until the next one pops into my head.

9 comments:

Andria said...

I have always loved this picture. It just makes me smile. It may not be your cup of tea, though, but I think it would be great in a fun kitchen. Maybe even a series of food pics like it.

erin j said...

for the water of the garden invest in these ewo items: a timer (a really good one is about 20 bucks) and good soaker hoses (about 20 bucks total!!) then sit back and marvel at your ingengius at one less thing to remember!
you guys will have to let me know how you make the garden. i want to do raised beds this year. i guess it's time to start thinking about it...

penelope said...

I remember you showing me that pic! It's super-cute. I'm leaning toward something more retro/sign-ish (inspired by the Smartini redo, maybe??), but we will see!

Thanks for those tips, that sounds really smart! I think my parents do the same, although their system is quite elaborate. Sounds like it saves water AND saves one from having to remember--which is my biggest pitfall.

J.Lo built the bed, just a simple rectangle, and we filled it with dirt from... Hmmm, I can't remember now. Maybe Lowes or HD? And then did mulch on top, around the plants, which really does help with the weeds, and keeping the soil from drying out as fast.

~sarah said...

a friend of mine found this really cool german band's record and the cover-art is a bunch of random veggies that spell "can." it is the coolest thing. and she had another record with other veggies on it randomly so we talked about how cool it would be to find one more, frame them, and voila! fabulous, retro, one-of-kind kitchen art. and fun to search for the records too, i bet. : )

penelope said...

That sounds super-cool!

Andria said...

I thought I'd shown it to you before. Pretty sad. Maybe one day I'll actually get it myself and stop trying to pawn it off on others.

Water really is the key. The timer and soaker hoses are quite clever!

Anonymous said...

That home cooked idea is a very worthy effort. Except for the homemade tortillas. That really sounds like you can buy almost the same thing? no? with so much effort. (Like I thought it would be fun to make soap, but well, from scratch, it seems if you don't measure everything just so and if you have hard water.. Trader Joes has some really great soap for $3.99) Anyway, even the store bought tortillas aren't usually full of all sorts of mysterious ingredients.

penelope said...

Yes, I need to just buy tortillas, the basic ones at the grocery store. The Target brand has an amazing amount of mysterious ingredients, surprisingly... I've heard from one other friend that making soap can be fun, and yet potentially disastrous. :)

Anonymous said...

The just melt the soap blocks that you buy at Michael's is fun. You can add colors and cut out shapes and then combine them and cover the little pieces with the clear stuff. Add fragrance and oatmeal and lavendar from the garden.