Friday, December 19, 2008

if i had a nickel

I’d have to put it in a jar somewhere and not touch it. Apparently, I am allergic to nickel. They mix it in with a lot of the jewelry here in the U.S. (cheap filler, even in more expensive stuff), and repeated exposure can cause a contact allergy. I blame all those damn earrings I used to have in my head: eight! A few years ago, my ears flipped out, and I couldn’t wear the earrings anymore. First I switched to all-silver and all-gold earrings, which helped for awhile, but then the plating would wear off, and finally I felt like clawing my ears off, so I decided I was done. I wear necklaces, mostly taking them off at night, but if I don’t, or sometimes even if I do, I get welts on my skin. Watches are the same. And now, I guess with the white-gold plating wearing down on my wedding rings, I can no longer wear them. It is beyond vexing.

While researching this issue and what to do about it (talk to the jeweler about re-plating? Try Nickel Guard?), I found THIS PICTURE, which is too scary to post. I’m serious. View at your own risk. In the meantime, I’m hoping for no nightmares tonight—and that that dude isn’t really allergic to nickel. Because, ouch.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer.

Cheap jewelery is such fun stuff. I've heard that the back of the snaps on jeans can be coated with nail polish if htat becomes a problem.

But wait, if the jewelery is solid, then there shouldn't be a coating that wears off... could what is under your wedding ring be just a dermititis?

penelope said...

It could very well be. The ring is white gold, which is an alloy, probably with nickel. I've heard that white gold rings need to be re-plated after awhile? Or that the allergy just appears after long exposure. I've got to talk to that jewelry store! And possibly a dermatologist.

Anonymous said...

I had never pondered what white gold was, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it: "White gold's properties vary depending on the metals and proportions used. As a result, white gold alloys can be used for different purposes; while a nickel alloy is hard and strong, and therefore good for rings and pins, gold-palladium alloys are soft, pliable and good for white gold gemstone settings. The highest quality white gold is usually at least 18 carat, and made up of gold and palladium, sometimes with other metals like copper, silver, and platinum for weight and durability, although this often requires specialized goldsmiths.

Contact allergy
About one person in eight has a mild allergic reaction to the nickel in some white gold alloys when worn over long periods of time. A typical reaction is a minor skin rash.[1] White gold alloys made without nickel are less likely to be allergenic."

penelope said...

I tried nail polish, but it peeled off by the end of the day.
Sigh.