Wednesday, December 3, 2008

fav line so far from this book

(The last line.)

“It’s an old story: When Prout and Liebig nailed down the macronutrients, scientists figured that they now understood the nature of food and what the body needed from it. Then when the vitamins were isolated a few decades later, scientists thought, okay, now we really understand food and what the body needs for its health; and today it’s the polyphenols and carotenoids that seem to have completed the picture. But who knows what else is going on deep in the soul of a carrot?”

--from In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did you like the book?

I like that last sentance, it seems so tongue in cheek. I wonder now, if carrots have souls do they go to heaven.

penelope said...

I do like the book! I'm in the last section, where he's becoming a bit of an impractical nutter with his suggestions on what to eat. But I have a follow-up book by someone else that might help.

I'm off to ponder the soul of guacamole.