Monday, December 15, 2008

weekend odds & ends

  • My favorite, only-pair-that-fits-right jeans now have a big old hole in the knee. I guess they were getting a little raggedy, so thin they wore clean through. But in the meantime, I am jeans-less, and a little sad.
  • While at my friend J’s, someone EGGED my car. People still egg cars? The best part is that the shells were brown. I like picturing the hoodlum in question thieving his parents’ expensive brown eggs to go throw around the neighborhood.
  • I really like my wreath (below). I might have mentioned that. It cost under $10 to make. Even the bird makes me  happy.
  • Our deck is now all gone, courtesy of badass, crowbar-wielding J.Lo. Plans for spring include a new, lower deck, possibly with a tin roof. I like the way they sound in the rain. Not to mention I’d love some shade, without breaking the bank.
  • I *accidentally* forgot my computer at my parents’ house this weekend, which meant I *couldn’t* do any work during Craft Weekend. *Oops.* I’m kind of sick of work. I find it highly over-rated, especially during the holidays. However, being sick of work doesn’t make the need for it go away. Profound, I know.
  • Susie nearly won Survivor: Gabon last night. While I’m sure she’s a lovely person in real life, she did nothing of note the entire season, save for creating fire in a challenge where no one else could. I would have DIED if she won. Sugar didn’t really try for votes, which is why she didn’t get any… but the contest should have been down to her and Bob. Susie was the recipient of three “I don’t know who else to vote for” votes, but that doesn’t make them okay. Also, Corinne is Evil Personified.
  • I now officially drink my coffee black. It only took a few days to get used to it. It’s tasty.
  • I’ve no idea what to make for J.Lo’s work potluck. Something savory. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion for potluck... How about comfort food, not quite a savory dish but easy. Hash Brown Potato casserole. it's made with frozen hash browns add cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, cheese top with cornflakes or more cheese. If it sounds good, I'll give you the detail.

penelope said...

It does absolutely sound tasty! But it's already on the list. You should see this list, it is something to behold. All they had room for was lighter fare, so I picked three-bean salad. Don't have a recipe, but I think it will be easy?

In the meantime, I may be making that Hash Brown Potato casserole for dinner!

Anonymous said...

Snif, veges. Well they are very necessary. My co-worker usually brings a bagged ready to toss Chinese Chicken Salad. It is always eaten. Three bean salad is easy and healthy... You can use Italian or other salad dressing, add chopped onion with the three or maybe four kinds of beans, or even add corn, it makes for a colorful salad. Of course, you can find a recipe for the dressing too. The neat thing is that leftovers will keep. We are looking forward to a feast at the office for breakfast on Friday. I've seen the sign up sheet, there are 50% carbs, but some fruit, bacon and egg dishes. I'm bringing the hash brown casserole. I am feeling stuffed just thinking about the abundance.

erin j said...

potluck: spinach pie!!!
jeand: steve and barrys is going out of business. jerry got me two pairs for under 10 bucks. they are boy jeans...but whatev.
deck: i want one... please come build us one too!!! ;)

penelope said...

Our menu is about the same balance. Lots of carbs! I like the idea of adding corn. Yum.

Steve & Barry's is going out of business now, too? Like all of them or just ours. Man. I didn't shop there much, but they had some neat stuff and the prices were awesome.

~sarah said...

i just tried to buy a couple "fits me right" jeans. i was even trying to be good and not get them too tight. they seemed to fit in the store. i got them home, wore them each once. great. time to hem them. wore them again - they are giant! both pairs are falling off of me. i have no idea how they stretched out this much. i tried to take one pair in but to no avail. i'm going to give them to a friend. the other may yet be salvageable, but for those "i need to be comfy and roomy and who cares if i look like a plumber" days.

food: ratatouille is pretty awesome. also in the same vein, slice up some zucchini, squash, potatoes, and carrots and roast them on a baking sheet with a little olive oil, parmesan, herbs of provence, and salt.

penelope said...

How is it that the perfect jeans are so elusive? It's one of the great mysteries of the world. But it does solve the mystery of why my jeans got a hole: because I wore them every day of my life.

Y'all are making me hungry with your fantastic food ideas.