Tuesday, December 2, 2008

LACMA, by M

In one of my last posts before my brain is turned completely to vapor, I went to the LA County Museum of Art. LACMA. To the Vanity Fair Exhibit. We did not make it to the new contemporary wing. And I found out that, though I enjoyed looking at the pictures, I pretty much revile the cult of celebrity. So as much as I wanted to see through that to the artistry behind the photograph, I couldn't get past "knowing" who the subject was. But only as one knows Disneyland or Notre Dame. It's not that I really know it but that the visual is ubiquitous? Maybe. And that the photos don't necessarily do anything to subvert what I already "know". Is that important?

And I can't tell what the thrust of the exhibit was but that it needed more behind it. There was a quip about these photographers being the advent of modern portraiture..., but that at least a couple copied the great painterly masters of the past... and that I've already lived with it for so long I have no appreciation for it. A naked lance armstrong I did not blink an eye at as he intently posed on his bike, but I did recall what a fervor demimoore caused bare and pregnant... so clearly something has happened in the last near 20 years... though my fickle mind doesn't want to deduce what that might be. Besides I had the Hearst Collection to view and other places to wander. Next up more on LACMA and the saint of abused women. Something I found infinitely more fascinating. . . here's what I took until my phone battery died.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All is vanity, there is nothing new under the sun.




my word verification is Hangs.

like in - the art hangs on the wall... tee hee.

Daniel Bruckner said...

That sports and masculinty exhibit is total BS. ANd don't get me started on the first floor of the Broad Contemporary!!!!

I'm allowed to be angry. I'm a member :)

When did you go? I am there allllllll the time.

Every week.

I was there today.

penelope said...

Celebrity is like so five minutes ago.

It's like your mind is clearing, readying itself for the adventure. With the lack of blogging and all, I mean. Hee.

mendacious said...

bruckner!
its true. for such an exhibit i certainly expected more or at least insight!

callie and i were there friday.
we must stop missing each other every where we go.

p- celebrity is like sooo 5 minutes ago.