Sunday, December 28, 2008

take me home

Today, December 28, it was 76 degrees and sunny. We’re at the beach down South, what do I expect? It’s just not my cup of tea, let’s say, for it to be so warm in the so-called winter. I like seasonal weather. And also, I like a little landscape. Tomorrow, for the third time in the space of 3 weeks, I’ll be driving up to RDU, which has got to be one of the most boring 2 1/2-hour rides on earth. I’m not complaining about the purpose of each trip, but blah, it’s just sodamnboring, that drive. To me, it would go so much faster if there was something to look at, other than flatness and what I swear are the same groups of pine trees  flanking the road, repeated in cluster units for two-thirds of the way there.

This weather just reinforced an idea that had popped into my head about a week ago: We will move to the mountains before our golden years. I swear we will. I didn’t grow up in the mountains, but there were a lot of hills up there in upstate NY, and very seasonal weather, so I always feel at home in those NC mountains. And after 12 years here, I’m thinking that NC is turning out to be a pretty cool state. I feel like it’s the best of both worlds, the mountains, and we will get there. It’s all about timing, and determination, and the burning desire to wear scarves and mittens and hats in the month of December. To live in a little landscape.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya'd think they could plant a different tree or two or three here or there. I remember a vacation that included driving in the Piedmont area of Virginia, I suppose the landscape has a similar look. bleah.

You could move to No Ho where we had to wear warm clothes this last week. Really we did and I thought about wearing socks with my flipflops, and there was frost on the back lawn!

erin j said...

i'm there with ya! and i TOTALLY agree that the drive from/to RDU is one of the most boring... well, really from Fuquay Varina...but tomato tamato...
though i will say that even in the mountains this week it was in the mid 60s...sigh... but they have already had snow too!! and it will be colder there soon... here... not so much, cooler, sure, but not colder...at least not until february, and then just windy and cold...yuck!

penelope said...

It's definitely a "prettier" cold, in the mountains. We'll get there!

The Blonde Duck said...

You could always go snowskiing in a bikini! Best of both worlds!