Tuesday, June 12, 2007

PostItNote

SO on my list of things to do- apparently a few things are coming up due. Like the iron-ons and in this instance: French. Today is my registration appointment day. And i find myself on the eve of this historic list crossing off occasion, wondering why i'm doing it. Now i start having doubts- doesn't it take a lot of commitment to actually learn and invest in another language- french movies, french cuisine, taxing trips to the south of france or montr'eal, not to mention all the vocabulary words and study sessions. I mean what's the point? Why would i want to challenge myself. I mean you know what happened when you learned german in 10th grade and why you shunned spanish even though you live in LA. . . how far is obstinace and whim really going to get me. We'll see because so far as much as i'm plaguing myself the other part of my bullish brain is continuing as planned, the other half dragging its feet. It's a battle to the death match that might last quite a while. we'll see who wins out ultimately as French II and Visit Montr'eal appear on my to do lists of the future.

UPDATE: Okay, jut thinking about having to buy books is totally exciting!! And now that i've registered and paid it seems like this loco train is movin forward!

5 comments:

penelope said...

I've always wanted to learn French. I enrolled in a class once, in college, but promptly dropped it after realizing I was pronouncing everything in a Spanish accent. It was a bit much... but I bet it would be kind of fun if you didn't have any other classes mucking up your brain at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I'm cheering for the brain.... go brain, down with sloth!
It is rather an elitist thing to do, learn a language that you don't need to use, just want to, because you can. Like reading Proust.

rc-d said...

ah mon dieu!!! simply speak loudly and slowly and read the small print on the signs in montréal

Kurt said...

wait - what's happening?

~sarah said...

ooooo! good for you! when we get stumped on plot points, we can take a break and you can teach me french words and simple sentences like "help! he stole my bag!" "please don't slap me again." and "for the last time, i'm canadian. i swear!"