Thursday, June 7, 2007

Dear Lowes Foods,

I bet you get a lot of letters. I just want to talk for a moment about your fruit. I love your store, the ambience, the wood-floored wine section, the cashier who is endeared to K.Lo, your prices, your bargain meats. And your produce, for the most part is fine, too. But the fruit, man, it's killing me. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 ugly purchases made at your establishment over the past 2 years: peaches, apples, and now blueberries. The fruit looks absolutely wonderful on the outside, great color, no bruises or blemishes, a nice price. In the case of the peaches, you even provided a cute little basket. But I get it home, and I might as well throw it out because it tastes like mush. It's mealy, it's flavorless, it's so disappointing. Talk about deceptive appearances. I don't even know what else to say other than a) you are not helping my chocolate habit, as what else am I supposed to eat if the fruit around the house sucks, and b) I don't think I'll be buying any more fruit from you, ever. Three strikes and you're out, baby.

xo,
your pal penelope

P.S. to Wegmans: won't you consider expanding your chain to NC, specifically ILM? Pretty please? Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh... Weggies. I love Wegmans. You should consider buying your fruit from the latino produce joint next to the Coat of Arms. I haven't been there myself, but Howard has picked up some excellent avacados and baby bananas and assured me that they speak english in there (which may sound bad, but I had an experience at a Korean fish market once that scarred me.)

penelope said...

That's funny, I have passed that place and thought about it. Good to know that it's not too scary!

mendacious said...

Maybe youshould track when you're buying such things... perhaps they consistently snow people at certain times of the year. and remember i think you should be able to take that nasty fruit back-i mean i know it's awkward and who does that- but you deserve to eat good fruit- you're in the land of it and the plenty and all that. don't be denied- get your money back.