Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Power Struggle, Continued

Okay, so I emailed that letter last week to Evil Power Company Customer Service, and they say you're supposed to get a response in 24 hours--I didn't. But that's okay. I vented. And also, I felt really (okay, only sort of) bad the next day when it started pouring again, and I was all in a conniption because it was Survivor night, and I thought for sure our power would be out when I got home from work. So I called the automated system to check the "status" of the outage request for our neighborhood, just to see if it existed. And it did. And I was like, boiling over. This is Survivor, people. CBS does not show repeats. And I had already had to go to a sports bar once a few weeks ago and finnagle the manager into showing it on the big screen, sound and everything, when I'm sure people wanted to watch something else, like, um--sports. And I wasn't going to do that again.

But, oops, instead of checking on the status of an existing neighborhod outage request, it turns out that I created it. Teehee. And S, who had already been warned of the situation and told to call the power company immediately when he got home if the power was still out, had to cover for me. The trucks pulled up and they guys were all like, "Uh, did you report an outage?" And S was like, "Um, my wife was home earlier? [I wasn't, really.] And she may have called? The power may have been out then?"

So the power hadn't really gone out, at all. And the previous evening they had repaired two of the main breakers in our neighborhood to help prevent future outages. Also, it turns out that the reason this new neighborhood's power goes out so much is because there are so many tree branches near the lines, and rainwater simply weighs them all down, affecting power. So... there is actually a somewhat legitimate explanation, one that almost appeases the Angry Pregnant Lady.

I thought I was off the hook after that little incident, and maybe they just let my email go, which would have been fine, really. I was over it, for now. But apparently the response of Customer Service to an email like that is to have someone come out and check the voltage from your house, and call you, and if you're not there, leave a little door hangy thing that says they tried to check out the problem, but didn't find anything and couldn't reach anyone, but if we have continued issues, please give them a call. And our voltage was fine. Oops.

And S also mentioned that he noticed they were cutting down some tree branches around the lines in our neighborhood... I'd like to think I had a little something to do with that. Mmm hmmm. That's right.

Really, I think this all needs to be logged in the baby book as one of the irrational things Mommy did before he or she was born.

1 comment:

mendacious said...

so , so genius. we all need to be that community involved. and i'm sure baby will understand that, especially when you start writing letters about candybar sales, magazine fundraisers and the need for paved sidewalks so baby can learn to ride their first bike.