Wednesday, October 5, 2005

I swear the crackpot is genius

Really the biggest thing going on right now, besides the fact that I am working steadily to de-packrat myself of years and years worth of junk, before my husband calls that evil TLC show, Clean Sweep, and has my habit exposed on national TV, is that I am lately addicted to the slow-cooker.

The slow-cooker, the crockpot, whatever you want to call it. I'm not even sure anyone but people in the South use them. I never did, growing up in the North. I heard of them, these crockpots, but they just sounded weird to me. Like the culinary equivalent of country music. I am now, however, convinced that it may be the world's greatest invention, ever. Because you can cook so many different things in there, and you can leave your house all day with it going and not worry about your house burning down. Because when you get home, the air smells like heaven, and all you have to do is heat up a few sides, and voila. Insta-yummy-meal. And it's not like all stews and chicken and dumplings and whatever. Although, have I mentioned how much I lately LOVE chicken and dumplings. Another obsession, another aside.

I need a slow-cooker cookbook, so I can branch out. But so far this week there has been roast with a gravy that magically formed from water and one packet each of Italian and ranch dressings. And today there will be a whole chicken, with salt and pepper and rosemary and olive oil... Tomorrow maybe Banquet's chicken and potatoes, purchased for $4.99 in the frozen food section. What else can I say about this sheer brilliance?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My parents use ours all the time. (I grew up in the Northwest...coming home to soup or whatever is great.) They also use it at winter parties to keep the apple cider warm.

mendacious said...

oh, i thought you meant crackpot- as in me, genius for once again changing our look, and i was going to be insulted... but clearly now i see you meant "crock pot"... which is a housery for tasty meats... we in the southwest know of such things as well, and we ate of it, and it was good. indeed, it was crack. a crack-pot of goodness.