Thursday, March 3, 2005

Unrelated Aside

So I’m at work and the cute boy has a girlfriend. Which I just assumed, later confirmed, when I suggested that he get a haircut and he said he didn’t want to pay supercut prices. Then I said that’s what girlfriends are for. He rather reluctantly admitted that in fact his girl or whatever it was he said, she didn’t have a name, was working up the nerve to cut his hair and would one day be styling it full time. She's worked her way to quarter an inch, he shows me with his hand, and next week he says perhaps an inch. I was left to ponder what a military haircut would look like and perhaps the fun of one of those electric shavers.

I learned about the hair cutting girlfriends from my two friends in high school who were dating. It seemed a natural experiment that she was being groomed to one day be a hair cutting wife when I saw them in my kitchen in barbershop position. I can only assume my mom came by it the same way since she cuts my dads hair and even mine. There were a few incidents in elementary where the cutting experiments went horribly awry but I can’t say that I was damaged beyond repair. And anyway I’m not a supercuts person either. Maybe my husband will be inclined to style my hair. I can’t quite picture it though. So my mom might be commissioned for a long time. Unless I myself become a hair cutting wife then it which case I’d have to wonder how I came by the role. I don’t particularly enjoy it. Otherwise there's always the salon.

1 comment:

Somebody's Mom said...

It is better to trust someone who says they love you than try to decide how much tip you should give to the stranger who has touched your hair and done a oh- my-God-that's-not-what-I-meant do. gasp

cutting hair is better than bonsai. The hair will grow back.