Tuesday, March 8, 2005

It's the End of the World: How we Know It

1) Crazy, random windstorm today. Everyone is up from their desks, hovering near the thin, rattly windows of our historic office building. They watch the rain and the lightning, the whipping tree branches. The power source groans, dies, and flickers to life again. Everyone gasps: A woman on the street below has been knocked from her feet.

2) It is Birthday Cake Day. Like Free Bagel Friday, Birthday Cake Day falls on the second Tuesday of every month, and involves two ginormous sheet cakes (varying flavors), singing, and the listing of names we are to celebrate. This month I am up. The C.E.O. manages not only to flub my new last name, but also incorrectly lists my department.

3) "Peace out," I think, in response to The Man and this Birthday Cake Day Debacle. And, "Poetry is just all around."

I've had an offer I couldn't refuse, so to speak. Pending one drug test, a background check, and some papers to sign, I am outee. Moving on, from one bad situation to another, it's true. However, the latter offers more dough and thusly I will not argue.

No comments: