Saturday, December 12, 2009

Pent Up,

There was a mid morning crisis about which thermometer to believe, and after a facebook poll I went with my gut and chose manual. It was quite a discrepancy. Made me lose my faith in technology, just a little bit. 98.3-99.3. Ultimately I prefer to believe I have a fever. And a pansy low-grade one at that, which seems to have no end. Day 7. Don't tell but I went to Trader Joes anyway. To my credit I anti-bacterialed my hands and didn't touch my face or sneeze or cough the entire time, and only handled what I was buying. Then I splurged and went to walgreens and got my mom and i $5fake pashima scarves. They're pretty fantastic. (will enclose pics later). Along with some burts, and face astringent...

Right now she's packing to go raise the morale of the Minnesota contingent, Dawns mom dying and all. As an HR girl she attends a lot of funerals (and she'll be there for Darlene's on Monday). At her company somebody's somebody is always dying, stricken, or insert strange and possibly disturbing disorder, condition, or tick. She tries not to tell me about them all but sometimes she can't help herself. It's her gifting to send out condolences and sympathy in true mom fashion without any hints of irony or inauthenticity, not even a drop of cynicism or ambivilance toward grief and death... she's very supportive and actually sincere. I cannot say that I am this way. Which is why for many other reasons besides I never visit my brother and have more family in friends then i do elsewhere. But let that go,

My current debate after such a truly exuberant day of Trader Joes and s3/d5 of 24, which by the way, they just shot ryan chapelle. And I think we're going to break up. I mean, it just went a little too far didn't it? Jerking us around with the ever present question of greater good vs. the single individual. Which is more important? And if morals should be compromised for the sake of that greater good- obviously yes. And yet Jack did sincerely seem to ask, God forgive me, as he shot him in the back of the head. He seemed to sense, even after the heroin addiction and everything else, that even he, as a character, had gone too far afield. I hate shows that are cruel to their characters. That's why I stopped watching Lost... but never mind- back to the debate- what I'm reading next, I have a collection of shortstories by Flannery, Eatprayand something, or memoirs of a geisha. Whats your gut instinct on this one?

Yesterday ok, I confess, still feverish, I went to the starbucks by the airport and asked the barista btw chaitealatte or mochalatte. He was very adament about the mocha, he said, because he hated the chai- so he was biased he said, but I said i wanted decisiveness. Thats what mattered. I mean anyone looking at me shouldve guessed I was sick. I mean its like, nothing would induce me to change out of my jammie pants. I did put on a nice sweater, but the clash, along with the socks and flipflops combo should've been a telloff to anyone. I felt very urban sitting there with the latte and my tempura from sansai-- a little bit rogue and not quite me. Due to the fever probably.

But anyway, otherwise- I can feel the energy bubbling underneath and ready to get going. Though pulling a dead bush out of the ground yesterday winded me considerably. I also finished Brideshead, Autumn had her baby and Joanna returned from NY but refuses to tell me about it. And you as I write this have wintered in the mountains and are crafting at your BF's. The world is always right and never all at the same time.

Postehaste,
M.

6 comments:

almost anonymous said...

The news had a bit about the best thermometers for kids, and their consensus was that they're all going to give you a little different read. So you go with one, and if it's dangerously high go to the Dr., e.r., whatever.

I tend to run low, so 98.3 could still be a fever, compared to your normal.

mendacious said...

oh yah i know, mine is 97.4/97.6. so either way... ach!

;)

Unknown said...

Fever is defined as a temperature above 100.4 Oral temp. Other sites will vary but in general it needs to be 100 degrees or more.
"Norma" temperature is whatever you generally run and is not 98.6. That was the AVE. normal temperature observed when the glass thermometer was developed. Body temperature varies considerably throughout the day and is usually lowest upon waking and high in the afternoon or evening. Also activity, eating talking etc, will cause temperature readings to fluctuate from measurement to measurement. But all of that is meaningless until the temperature rises above 100 F.

mendacious said...

john, thanks, whoever you are. i'm with you. as i compulsively take my temp what you say is true. i'm pretty sure i have a fever if my norm is 97.4. it means anything above 98 is considered high for me. so i can't say its meaningless-i also feel hot in the head and have a discernable physical change when my temp is elevated. so its not just the thermometer i'm relying on.

pen said...

I'm confused by John's input, but that's okay. I agree about fever relativity; J.Lo also tends to run low as his "normal." I can't believe it was Day 7? I don't imagine you were contagious by then anyway, but still, how life-sucking. Interesting perspective re: shows that are mean to their characters. I had never thought of it in those terms before. You must tell me the name of Autumn's baby. And also, I'm thinking Geisha.

Unknown said...

i loved both eat pray love and memoirs of a geisha. i'm a difficult book finisher. its hard for me to get all the way through without being bored/ turned off/ distracted/falling asleep.
i know that some people we know didn't love eat pray love, but i felt like ms gilbert really plumbed her experiences honestly.
also, i've only ever read that flannery story about the fake leg? that you have to read in school or something? i do enjoy short stories... should I read a whole collection?