Friday, December 18, 2009

m,

So does anyone even send Christmas cards anymore? I have gotten a few, but not nearly as many as last year, and so I’m guessing that either a) friends are just as far behind as I am and/or b) the tradition is dying out. And/or c) Thriftiness is more prevalent this year. Although there were some killer deals lurking on the Internets, and I’ve got a fistful of cards procured for just over $3. And yet my recipients list seemed random and not nearly complete, resulting in many leftover cards, the question of well, should I pursue more addresses…?, and the overall feeling of *unfinished.* But, as Christmas is in a week’s time, we must let it go and press on.

I’ve decided on a resolution for this year. Unlike last year, when I listed every desirable improvement that entered my mind in the manner of an unfiltered verbal tic, I am choosing just one. The solid, concrete goal of learning to coupon. Couponing, defined, goes above and beyond the normal use of coupons, which I clip periodically and use occasionally when the retail stars align. In couponing, you combine manufacturer coupons, in-store coupons, and in-store specials to obtain ridiculous deals. It’s a skill, a sport, and an art, and while I’ve just begun to learn the ropes, eventually I would like to master the activity, with a focus on deal-pinpointing efficiency and procurement of the best, most effective coupons. Occasionally, I feel like it might be more of a hassle than it’s worth, but it’s sort of a game as well, and the victories will be enjoyable. Not to mention easy on my wallet.

So intermittently, I complain, or break down, or even spiral down into very dark places re: finances, and while in those dark places I may even question whether or not God listens, cares, etc. Like haven’t I learned my lesson yet, or suffered enough, may be examples of running-through-my-mind questions, which may or may not be excessively dramatic. Isn’t it time to provide the tools or means to conquer this burden? However slow, I would be open and accepting of anything. Well, after a very dark week’s beginning, I acknowledge some light. 1) Couponing: that it even came to my attention, that it is entirely within my power to master. That’s a tool. 2) Additional paying work, that is small at the moment, but is most definitely *something* and represents a larger door with potentially substantial opportunities in the longer-term. That’s some means. It’s a door I was so excited to have opened, I may or may not have cried my face off for over an hour, depending on who you ask. (Don’t question the children. Embarrassing.) I felt very definitely when applying for this position over a month ago that it was meant to be, and then it wasn’t, or so I thought, and then it was, and at the most interesting possible time, and well, now I know. He does listen.

And then I also think about your comments re: burdens, and a financial burden, however self-made, however painful and difficult to overcome, could be different and so much worse. Very true. I know that, I’m appreciative that it’s this and not that. (Although, God, if you *are* listening, I would like to point out how many more resources I could have at my disposal to serve others, should the financial crisis ever be solved. Digression. I know. Maybe the path is intentionally difficult, and I get that, but I’m just saying.)

Otherwise: it’s time to get down to business with some yoga podcasting, at some point, because my brain could use a break. Just a few minutes free from over-analysis, lack of patience in so many areas of life, and maybe even the desire for sugar. Because I like it, a lot, especially in the form of Oreo bonbons. Yum.

xo,

pen

3 comments:

almost anonymous said...

Mmm. Oreo bonbons.

Since I'm not married with a family, the photo/letter cards seem a bit much to send (hello, conceited...and I've been unemployed for half the year). And I'm too cheap/lazy to do others.

As my mom said in her family Christmas letter, it's a little weird to figure out what to write that's not repetitive for people who already know from Facebook, etc. Although I suppose it's a good personal record. (And people like my grandma are not on Facebook.)

I do have the moments of asking God, "What am I supposed to learn and how can I speed it up?" Although as our pastor pointed out a few weeks ago, people sometimes ask "Why me?" when the question is really "Why not me?" Life is still the way it is...imperfect to some extent.

I often end up on the "Why me?" side though :)

Somebody's mom said...

Listening afterall is not the same as saying "yes, you shall have what you ask for."

Even at work, I have easily less than 1/3 of the usual number of cards. Quite a few companies are sending "green cards" aka e-mailed greetings. bleah. Don't even get me started on my what-you-couldn't-actually-hold-a-pen-in-your-hand- for-two-seconds-and-write-your-name-rant. I have expectations for what a greeting should be (not the company's name in bold on the front).

In the Christmas letters I'd like to see a story and not just a list of dates/activities. Tell me how you felt and what you are looking forward to. If God listened to me, I would be an excellent home keeper whose home was never messy.

Andria said...

I think it is crazy the stamps cost more than the photo cards!

financial woes. ugh. Happy couponing and banking from blogging in 2010!