Thursday, December 24, 2009

Penolin,

This is the first time in recorded history we'll not be having Christmas Eve dinner. Even in my reckless abandon last year they went off and had dinner out and I had an overpriced fine dining experience a mile from the beach of san juan del sur. I do recall a massive chocolate brownie- a giant turkey, stuffing and all the rest. I might have had champagne. I don't remember. There were hammocks involved at the end however, some slumped over on couches as we waited to get trundled back to our casa. I saw digital pics of the magnificant sunset everyone saw. I chose to desalt in a pool instead. That was before the gringo christmas. Which I liked. Don't get me wrong. I think the next day we even exchanged gifts. There was an inflated Santa in the lobbey and a few people wore hats and there were lights and poppers going off. I think that was one of the nights I swung my hips in that upstairs bar... maybe christmas day? Anyway.

Today we're having a christmas eve lunch? It is interesting to mix things up I feel. I am a big fan of stockings even though I didn't put any up or get anything for anyone to put gifts in. But one of these days we'll swing back around. Formalize ourselves a little bit. Make an extra effort to make things special. Mom suggested a coupon book of some kind. Maybe I will. Maybe I will.

I'll have to document church eve as I've never done that before either. Look at all the firsts! Somehow its important isn't it? I want to say more but i realize I only have 15minutes to get ready. Everything is out of synch. You're talking about undoing 30+ years of tradition. Maybe discovering in the process a new thing- now what to wear to church? Thats the question.

Essay.Needletale. Totally coming up.
m.

1 comment:

pen said...

Yes, it's all about the new, mixed with the old. And it must be made special. All I know is, there's eggnog. I have eggnog. About to roast some potatoes.