Saturday, December 19, 2009

Penolin,

My poor pup bodo. I noted he wasn't himself but nothing that would send alarm bells until he started shaking and breathing hard. It was sort of the perfect storm. Mom is gone so his eating was already effected, I had the flu so my energy wasn't great even to see if his energy wasn't great. It's rough when the only signs are: decreased energy, one runny nose, and then 3 days of occasional hacking like he's got a bone stuck in his throat. But then I get home and stare at him when he's not looking at me and he's clearly distressed. And then I convinced dad that we absolutely did need to take him to the fancy emergency hospital in the hills. I was thinking what my creditcard advertisement would be, "peace of mind: priceless". Of course it was dads credit card after he wanted to know why I couldn't go by myself and besides my blinding hatred of vets and how i start sobbing at the hint or thought of the hint of bad news- Bodo is his dog, I said. I can't afford it #2. And #3 Bodo is your dog. He sat there defeated and we went. Dad does not like vets either. I suppose if I developed enough of a relationship with one, overcame that gut reaction of exorbitant overcharging and the business of health which has always seemed wrong and yet it shouldn't be.Who does. Dad's last golden retriever died in the same place after some labored breathing, but significantly worse, fluid around the heart or some horror. I mean for sure I thought he had cancer and not random pneumonia. These poor dogs always seem to get stricken by something awful like how everyone in america gets stricken by something awful eventually. Like death. And just in the small room near a club of hip hollywood types we all sat and waited. One womans bulldog ate a batch of pot brownies. Another couple fled from the place racked in sobs and tears. Another guy brought his dog in because he had a tick. I seemed somewhere in between comical and ridiculous and tragical. Feeling pretty good at my decision, even though I'm sure he could survive without a 24 hour oxygen tank and probably didn't need all the bloodwork done. But whatever. How can you say no to this face?:
















5 comments:

pen said...

You cannot say no to that face, no! Poor Bodo. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Vets and their overcharging and bad news. Ugh. :(

~sarah said...

oh no! i thought for sure this was going to be a "memorial" post, my stomach in knots the whole time. Let me know what happens! Get better Bodo!

almost anonymous said...

Aw. Bodo.

Cracks me up that the dog didn't just eat a batch of brownies, but of pot brownies.

pen said...

Totally forgot to comment about the bulldog: priceless!

Andria said...

such a beautiful, sweet dog. So glad you took Bodo in and he is improving!! Even though the bills are exorbitant!
pot brownies! oh my!