Monday, January 16, 2006

Baby says "hi"


I had an ultrasound today, my first since September. I know if it's not your own kid, it's generally a) boring and b) confusing to look at an ultrasound picture, but too bad for all of you, I'm home from work and these are the things that fascinate me. You're looking at four fingers here, and we have confirmation that the baby does indeed have a thumb on that hand as well, so that is a good thing.

The doctor was a little concerned that the baby might be on the small side, so, even though my brother apparently thinks I look ginormous and ready to pop three weeks ago (yeah, thanks for that), I went for the ultrasound today just to make sure everything looks okay and that I don't, in fact, have a runt child. (What they planned on doing if it was--have me keep my legs crossed for a few extra weeks?--remains a mystery.) He or she is a tiny bit runty, it turns out, but only 6 1/2 lbs runty, if you consider that small, and frankly, I'm not arguing. I'm already terrified of having to get that large of a child out. Yikes.

Meanwhile, I'm just home, waiting. Watching the Monk Marathon tivoed last Friday, cooking French Onion soup, and wondering if I'll actually have an Aquarius as originally scheduled, or this baby intends on being a Capricorn. Hmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I was somewhere around the 6 pound range. Granted, I was supposed to be a Halloween baby and I showed up early on the 7th instead.

Still, I'm sure your baby can get over being a bit on the small side.

Anonymous said...

Mother nature does some crazy prep work on your body before the baby makes its grand entrance.

It's all just such a miracle.