Friday, September 2, 2005

a word on the news...

"FEMA chief: Victims bear some responsibility"
"Asked later on CNN how he could blame the victims, many of whom could not flee the storm because they had no transportation or were too frail to evacuate on their own, Brown said he was not blaming anyone." "Now is not the time to be blaming," Brown said. "Now is the time to recognize that whether they chose to evacuate or chose not to evacuate, we have to help them."

We all have choices. Why not blame them? Why not ask the neighbors of the people who were too frail, why didn't you give them a ride? I would blame them. I thought no one walks in LA? But you know what, if it came to evacuating, you'd better be sure I'd have my sneakers on, supplies and I'd get the fuck out of dodge. I would walk as long as my strength would carry me. What is wrong with people?! The people that this country has raised that have no sense of personal responsibility and that there is no consequence with choice. You stayed, you lived, suffer the consequences. That doesn't mean we don't help them- but nor should the FEMA guy be getting yelled at ad hominem bcs people are afraid of offending people, or that we would construe him as heartless. As a country we've let people just sit on their rooftops (i'm talking healthy average joes) yelling, help me, help me and there is a woman with an inflatable bed and a board for a paddle going past them... There's a proverb about this, better written but it applies. This stuff is making my eye twitch. Why is everyone acting so helpless. We should be raising leaders, not victims- Should we be waiting for the government to save us, or should we be asking someone to help us find a job?! And those of us who aren't in crisis, what are we doing? When are we going to stop watching the Tv and make a choice, in life, in our circumstances, our jobs, our friends, helping our fellow human beings even. I'm tired of the people who are sitting around waiting for someone to choose for them- you have a mind, use it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you said it girl!