Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Self-Diagnosis

So after the course of many discussions and an unintentional walk-a-thon, i've come to the conclusion that besides meditation I also need advil. (welcome back pen)

On sunday I had the best treadmill of my life. There were no obnoxious people, or ever-sweaters, I blazed a 2mile path at 3.6 for 35 minutes. My overpronated feet weren't complaining, my shins were quiet, there was no barking of anykind. And then my friend called and wanted to go to the Abbott/Kenny festival- which is basically a once a year outdoor shopping mall for trendy people. Although we did have some tasty funnel cake. This entailed biking 2 miles down there- which was E/W, so relatively flat- and then back of course, and then there was the circuit to Dagwoods, a place with killer philly cheesesteak subs and pizza, and back again through the trendy outdoor mall. We ran into Pacey from dawson's creek on the way there, and oddly, on the way back- At this time I was already noticing some signs of dissent from my legs, but I thought it was the usual post-ex complaint. So the festival over and having biked backed, having completed maybe 8 miles that day, and capping it off with 3 episodes of BTVS (season 7) I went home saying my legs hurt, and laughing as my friend Beth said her hips hurt- I said well imagine the complaints when were older, and she said, a hip replacement is about 10 years off. I laughed, although she was serious, and I told her I'd bring her flowers in the hospital. Who has hip replacements at 38? Sucks. Then, as the days passed to 2 and my legs were still throbbing I began to rule out lactic acid build up, pulled muscles, to out and out inflammation. I have petellar tendonitis (diagnosed from the internet) and a previously medically diagnosed-- chondromalacia. Basically the cartilage is super pissed off in my knees- and I knew when i dosed some advil and the pain stopped that was surely the cause. And as I sit here, still in pain 3 days later- I know that I have to back off the exercise and let the swelling stop before something ugly happens, and which i don't have the insurance to pay for.

I'm house sitting at Chez Brag and they do not have advil. I've managed to find 2 emergency packets of Ibprofin from 2 seperate people-- and come to realize that at Chez Brag they seem to be anti drug of anykind. Mom suggested that I buy some but I've now "accidentally" maxed 2 credit cards, one being from a morning breakfast stop and then the 2nd an automatic charge from 24fitness. Thanks guys. My bank took $30 to for an automatic withdrawl that I didn't even authorize. We'll see if I ever see that money again. Geesh. What the flipitman. I'm thinking of filching from petty cash. But all the mystery episodes I've ever watched, sitcoms to episodics to movies and features of the week- people always get caught for stealing from petty cash. I bet though they wouldn't mind if I stocked the office... doesn't it count as drugs though? The production manager said, no alcohol, no cigarettes- and that was the basis of the limitation... hard to discern where the boundaries are then when it's me, the post sup/PA, the editor and the uberdirector... what would constitute a mis-use of petty cash? i think i'm going to go for it. the editor just walked in and he said he could use some too.

In retrospect this blog wasn't exactly written as intended but my legs are throbbing. Next I"ll be blogging about being all my friends #1 fan... aka rabid, aka obsessed. Mmm. Something to look forward to. Now gimme my meds!!

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patelladisorders/a/patellartendon.htm
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patelladisorders/a/chondromalacia.htm

1 comment:

Mara said...

Go to the dollar store for the ibuprophen... same stuff.. swear to god.

Nice job on the walk!