1. a loving-and-not-wrathful God
3. you – yes, you
4. e-pals whom I’d be wholly lost without
6. the ability and desire to make personal resolutions throughout the whole year
7. j-lo’s humor, patience and love
8. k-lo’s smiles, stories, imagination, sociability
9. n-lo’s sweetness, humor, quietness, independence
10. the gift of words, however questionable in value
11. family who I love and love me back
12. family who I love and remain mysterious entities – bc now we can ponder human nature in full depth…
13. bender and bailey – oh, bender and bailey! together and apart.
14. trees. hardwoods. branches. their composition against the sky.
15. cloud patterns, infinite
16. hills. mountains. even flat land sometimes.
17. YA novels and other books that are a balm to my soul
18. shows that literally make me laugh out loud. parks&rec, office, newgirl, himym, I’m thinking of you
19. knowledge and its crazy-accessibility
21. this blog
22. the revival of our writing group and cath as the hammer
23. my christmas tree, and the personal history of ornaments it contains
24. book club
25. church community
26. baby jesus
27. stars, so many of them – and the fact that I can see them
29. ability to connect with friends old and new, far and near, online. miraculous really.
32. the onion. funny or die. comedy is so not dead.
33. fresh, like really fresh, produce
34. prospective garden
35. this quiet street
36. k’s school
37. n’s school
38. chocolate sea salt caramels and that I got a bunch for christmas
39. an rx that actually works. most of the time.
41. recognizing god’s design, I really see it sometimes
42. music – and so accessible
44. free apps
46. the teachers in our lives, both old and new
47. that n-lo’s greatest joy in life is making a new batch of jell-o
48. that k-lo is so much cooler and more socially adept than I ever was
50. that jason segal made a new muppets movie
51. fraggles exchanging a very special rock on their christmas. yes.
52. sunrises that I can see from my kitchen window every day, esp in winter
54. the ability to exercise even if I don’t always wanna
55. opposable thumbs
56. contact lenses – the technology!
57. that I love to cook – this shouldn’t be taken for granted really
59. gummy vitamins that don’t make me ill
60. caprese salad
61. samples “lunch” at the price club
62. they still sell i-cees! blue and red! at the gas station up the street!
64. knowing many people who truly love bonfires
65. holy spirit whispers
66. stained glass, sunlit
67. snark/sarcasm – which to quote lane does not become me but sustains me
68. yoga poses, which I’ll come to know again one day
69. my gift of mercy, developed deeply over the years
70. my educational degrees, however questionable in value
71. this: 2 over-easy eggs on warm/buttered toast with fresh tomato slices on top and a sprinkling of salt, pepper and hot sauce. yes.
73. varying church service styles, learning to appreciate the form and nuances of each – although I’m still resistant to the grape juice thimbles. really.
74. a mailbox with a functional flag
75. clean air to breathe, even deeply when I remember to
76. the ability to cut my own and my family’s hair
77. the word “wonder” and the desire to seek it out
78. that andy on the office had a shelf of carolers like me
79. dwight’s homage to trans-siberian orchestra
80. entertainmentweekly magazine and the unexpected subscription from my longlost brother
81. that j.lo gave me a blanket for christmas bc mine is a complete rag. and that its rag status bothered him waay more than it bothered me.
82. the complete gilmore series
83. fondue, just the fact of it
84. katniss everdeen
85. that leaching is no longer a common practice (i.e. i am grateful for modern medicine)
86. eggrolls, especially the crunchy ends
87. cookie bars, especially the gooey middles
89. that fall is my favorite season again
90. the prospect of snow
91. the love of spring
92. defying the norm to hate summer
93. running water, the miracle and commodity of that
94. word games with friends
95. rarely having to buy children anything – clothes toys etc they’ve been so covered
96. brilliant authors
97. hope, however full of shadows
98. online photo filters
99. city energy that can occasionally be indulged
100. the sweet feeling of relief at arriving home. even from the grocery store.
101. making it to 100 and feeling like there is more, much more