Sunday, August 30, 2009

Dear Penelope, by M

My backwoods are on fire. I imagine that if the winds had been stronger even my home in the flatlands would have surely been in jeopardy. And a monumental disaster in the making. As it is now the fire continues its march into the wilderness and hopefully no serious devastation will occur. Because that would be unfortunate even if the fire itself is good and cleansing for the land and all the years of unburned waste and debris going up and out into nitrogen which feeds the soil and guarntees more growth and seeds and the cycle continues. Still you know no one wants to pick what carfull of things they would save. My aunt and uncle had to evacuate in their matching lexus' and i wonder what they picked. And hopefully their house is ok so that in the end it doesn't matter but still I know someone who's faced the universal question. Though my mom didn't want to bother them so I didn't get an answer just that theyre playing bridge to keep their minds off things. And I myself ever since news coverage began have been wary of living in the "hills" percisely for the perpetual fire and flood incidents which seem in some degree to be absolutely inevitable.

I was with my friends after church, eating mexican food and it reminded me in class when I was young, it was always a discussion- and because i went to a private christian school, invariably a few people would say, of course i would take my bible- 1 thing of maybe 3 lets say, if you had no time. I said, well luckily you can get it online nowadays so maybe just snatch your harddrive or grab your laptop. I'd have a problem with space bcs of all the photoalbums i have. That wouldn't be a 1 object but a trunk full and my art i suppose. Who cares about clothes in the end, except for maybe my passport and jewelry.

Right now its 92 in my room. I find that lack of a/c builds character. It sort of gives you that I'm tough and strong and I can take it. (bragging rights) And gives you an excuse to blantantly walk around in your matching black bra and underpants. With a fan and a spraybottle and a giant vat of iceladen sparkling water. But let that go. You know i'd rather have a/c then all that ridiculous character building anyway. Who cares if it doesn't make for a good story.

Right now I'm watching netflix watch now and waiting till I go out to dinner, which is approximately 1.5 from now. So I won't even get into my thoughts about girls and dating and how sometimes we all just seem to get swept away.

m.

7 comments:

penelope said...

Being innately afraid (terrified) of a house burning down, I have often pondered the question. Obviously the answer has changed over the years. Currently, I suppose it would be computers/external hard drive, whatever pictures I could grab (i.e. wedding album), and hell... I don't know what else. Obviously a few precious items for the kids. Bet J.Lo would want to grab the HDTV if he could.

Did you read Niki's Gen Y post before writing this? Certain lines echoed. :)

Andria said...

I, too, have pondered the question and imagined how many desperate trips I would attempt to get all of my photo albums out. Obviously, after the kids and dogs. Beyond that, I'm attached to lots of heavy wooden furniture that just doesn't mesh well with this scenario.

You are a better woman than I for tolerating those kinds of temperatures! In attempts at conservation, I try to not bump the air down downstairs before we are heading up to naps and I find that I get noticeably cranky and irritable once it reaches that 74-75 mark!

Andria said...

PS, yay for "new" header. And it is for September, right? just a little early? Not that I have missed it for nearly a month. Sometimes reading posts via RSS feeds really means I miss out on things. like comments and changes.

You can't turn it on if you don't have one said...

Having suggested to my husband that I almost slept on the patio the other night because it was so hot in he bedroom he said we could buy a room air conditioner and use it at night. I said that I didn't want an air conditioner. It's summer we're supposed to be hot and it's not for that many days and I can soak my head in the sink and drink iced beverages. So what if I can't sleep one or two nights and want to sleep out side. People used to have "sleeping porches", right?

a copy of your insurance policy is a good idea said...

So M, I asked Aunt Rae and she said she thought about Bama's silver, but left that, took Dad's cufflinks and Bama's pearls and some other jewelery and clothes and stuff as though going away for a weekend. A pair of nicely fitting black pants and blue pants that required considerable effort to find will keep you dressed for awhile. Jerry took computer drives/backup and I don't know what else, by the time he came back from the restroom we were talking about other stuff. They are quite confident that their house will be fine.

almost anonymous said...

I have a box of journals, photos, etc. I packed last year (?) when the hills above Burbank were burning. Also would have to grab my computer, the framed maps on my wall would be nice, and there are too many clothes that took forever to find ones that fit right. So forget the clothes, I guess.

We just got an automated emergency phone message to reduce the strain on the electrical system today...turn up the temperature on air conditioners, don't run appliances, etc. Now if only we had the air conditioner to turn up. I'm not turning off the fan.

almost anonymous said...

PS - Where are your photos? :)