Sunday, August 30, 2009

dear m,

The hills aren’t on fire here, and in fact it’s pretty lazy … I’m occupying space but in a good way? With a few tiny concerns buzzing in the back of my mind like houseflies, pesky, but I accept that they are there. Like losing a friend on Facebook and not knowing who it was, which is usually a good indication that the “friendship” was tenuous at best. And typically it’s a case of someone paring down their friends list to the essentials (understood) or canceling their account altogether for reasons unknown, but yet it bugs and fascinates me, the idea of someone going through the list and being all, Yeah… I’m done with her. Hmm! Because granted many are mere acquaintances from yesteryear, but I think of them in only friendly terms? And feel that if we met in person again we’d probably have a real conversation or whatever. So I’ve been the victim of someone's housecleaning, I won’t dwell.

Speaking of housecleaning, I’ve been dying to mention to whomever will listen that Method stainless and granite cleaners are exactly the same, just a different bottle. I would swear to it. They smell the same, clean the same; the listed ingredients: same.

There are still a few rooms I haven’t dusted. I feel like as soon as I get to them, it will be time to start the rotation over again and really, what’s the point.

Today we planted radishes, lettuce, and carrots as one of our end-of-summer crops. Actually, K.Lo planted the seeds, which I love. And this time the bed has been properly composted and enriched with new organic Miracle Grow soil and I’m hoping it will work wonders. The other bed is still in progress, with the okra still producing, but caterpillars are ravaging all, and the tomatoes will probably be done away with soon, the soil treated and turned, and then we’ll try again. We will have tomatoes by summer’s true end.

We never went to the beach. One of these days, when we move to the mountains, we’ll vacay at the beach and be there every day of the week, getting someone else’s sheets all sandy and soaking it all in. I’m just saying.

Meanwhile, I’m reading Percy Jackson, the first book, and it’s a pretty fast and addictive read. I gave up on another chick lit book because I looked ahead like I always do, and it turned out the mother character dies, from a recurrence of cancer, and I was beyond miffed. The cover has a cupcake on it, for heaven’s sake, with fluffy icing. Don’t deceive me like that.

J.Lo marinated some chicken wings in a honey-teriyaki sauce tonight and grilled them, and they were all kinds of tasty.

I’m sitting in the dark with K.Lo as she is on the brink of sleep, although she is curled up with a large, clunky plastic toy, and I totally don’t get it. Will be in later to soundlessly remove and recover child with only soft things.

xo.p

3 comments:

Andria said...

Crazy to notice you've been dumped! I don't pay attention that well - it would haunt me a little, too, so glad I don't!
I'm sad, but not surprised you didn't make it to the beach. *sigh. You can just get sand in your tub rather than the sheets, you know? ;) Sounds like you had an otherwise full and satisfying day!
I do not know how you spoil things by looking ahead!

Somebody's mom said...

I am so excited to know that you read ahead! OMG, the flack M gives me because I do, does she know that you do that?
When the kids are older it will be easier to go to the beach. But of course, it's the not having something that makes it more fun, so when you are hours away you will go more often.

almost anonymous said...

I have a few people I want to houseclean on Facebook, not you :), but I feel guilty...like high school people I didn't really talk to in high school who I accepted requests right after I joined FB. But I feel like now it will be obvious.

Yay, Percy Jackson. I think it's come up before, but I'm also sometimes a check the end of a book person. I'd rather know what I have to brace myself for.