Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dear Penelope, by M

I had a weird dream just now. My brothers old mustang, we weren't at our house but somehousethatwasourhouse- that's how dreams go. And there was a bonsai giant sequoia growing up through the ground straight into middle of the interior, almost reaching the roof. I laughed, nature will always get the better of us. And I like that feeling. I looked again and it had been cut in half because naturally trees, giant or otherwise, probably shouldn't be allowed to grow through cars. I took pains to reassemble it and show mom. Because I knew it would delight her also. She was running in her dreams last night. A good exuberant exercise of a run. I told her that it sounded like a good dream to have.

Yesterday I went to a jewelry store and the owner had a shrine to the god ginesh. For a false god he seems to be a fairly nice god being part elephant and all. I always remember that Simpsons episode where Homer ruins Apo's wedding by tramping around as the GodGinesha.

Today I'm going to LACMA. I pronounce the A softly. Like Autumn. So LA is more of a La, la, la. and the C is a hard k sound, M is mmm, and the last A is soft again. But to me it sounds like a crass accent. Because technically L.A.C.M.A. Los Angeles County Museum of Art.... Angeles has a hard sound. But who wants to say L-AKMUH. when they could say LAWK-MUH. Is all I'm saying. And there's a sculpture there that people can add to- their own brightly colored plastic objects. I'm appropriating my moms container of Tide (bright orange) and taking a mostly used chartruse lint roller. Pretty exciting. Last time we tried to go, the museum was Cuh-losed.

Yesterday I picked up Kerry from the airport, because you know, she helped orphans in Africa. And Africa you know is so 80's. and synonimous with aids which is also sooo 80's. India is really where its at if we were to mark cultural interest so she's going against the grain. And she brought me these suedeish/leather shoes called "safari shoes"... I think i must have complimented her pair at one point and so when she went again. And i was just surprised because its random and I love that she's bold enough to buy me shoes. I am never a bold gift giver. Sometimes. But I just don't buy with abandon like others do- like gift giving is a true "gift" and talent for some and a bane to others. She also got me swiss dark chocolate. But I love love love that she bought me shoes. It's like, i know, that if she ever goes to Holland I can tell her to pick up a pair of clogs and she totally will.

Today I will drive to Danica and then we'll go to mid-wilshire together. Hopefully the a/c is working as summer is back up a notch to where it should be for August in LA. And I'm going to get an electric hotwater pot. It's not as idyllic as a kettle but I like the idea of having options and she got it from Muriel and she doesn't need two.

So anyway, I'm off to watch s1,d4,x-files and put vaporub on my toe and drink my iced tea.

M-

1 comment:

penelope said...

I am always astonished and impressed by those who give shoes as a gift. It's like so very personal, but they usually do such a good job?

Also, your pronunciations of certain words amuse me.