Saturday, July 11, 2009

Prelude to: The Purple in My Eyes, by M

After procrastinating for about 2 years, I finally was like, yes, lets do something about this whole, I can't lose weight no matter how much I'm working out or eating right thing. I have friends who just automatically assume that I'm eating a lot of horrible things or that I have no idea what healthy food might mean. What is this? A carrot? I reject you carrot! Which I ocassionally do but nothing that should warrant a zero drop in the scale. Considering that when I work out 4-5x a week and am eating right nothing happens. I suppose I don't articulate that well but then its like, sure, right, uh huh, sure you're eating right. Sure you're getting all that cardio in.

So then I go on this volcano trip and I lose about 13/14 lbs. Which is about 2+lbs every week I was gone. What did I eat you ask? What I wanted. I had canned peaches, eggs and bacon every morning, almonds, dried fruit, chicken, broccoli, whatever looked good on the menu- burritos, fries, ocassional burgers even. Granted the pace was so vigorous that my body was no longer able to ignore the fact that I was being active. I came back in better shape. My lung capacity was improved- look out world. Then having acclimated to the vigors of travel I kicked up my workouts. I jogged. I almost got back to my 15min mile pace I had in college (which for me was fast, and when I was working out 5/6x a week). I hiked. I swam. I severely curtailed my addiction to breakfast mcmuffins. 4 months later the scale hovered a little above a little below where I left it. THEN I get a job for 3 wks where I'm on my feet for 8 hours a day, moving here, there, and everywhere, up and down ladders, or just sitting for 5 hours painting grout lines and I lose 3/4lbs. What was I eating you ask? Whatever I wanted. I even every week indulged in chicken nuggets and fries. I ate eggs and potatos and bacon and sausage everyday. I ate chicken, roasted vegetables. Nut and fruit medleys. Ocassional kitkat bar minis and fruit.

There's something obviously about what I chose to eat myself here in the real world that must be sabotaging me. So finally, I after all this time, about musing about my thyroid going haywire or whatever it occurs to me that instead of paying a lab +doctors fee to tell me whats wrong ($400 w/out insurance) then I'll go to this holistic healer person my friend Danica and I know. And see if she knows.

And Danica is one of the straightest shooters I know, so if she's willing to give this whatever it is a try. Then why not.

3 comments:

inquiring minds want to know. said...

Ah the suspense.... tell us, tell us.

almost anonymous said...

I second the motion.

penelope said...

Ooo, excellent. I approve of this element of suspense.