Wednesday, July 29, 2009

a cash cow, let’s be honest

Another weird thing on the way to RDU this weekend: the BK apple fries. We stopped for a rest room run and the children wanted a snack, so I picked something small for all 3 of us… apple fries. It’s an apple cut into the shape of fries and served in a fry box. Clever, right? I thought so, until I had to pay $1.49 for each one. I mean… honestly, it’s not that expensive, but it’s an apple. $1.49 for a single apple is appalling, I feel. Not only that, but it’s not even a whole apple, it’s more like half an apple. [The picture, needless to say, is soooo not accurate; there’s got to be some sort of shelf in the bottom of that box, and it is certainly more stuffed than the boxes we received.] Sliced with what I’m sure was either a machine or a gadget—really easy preparation. On the one hand, both kids were kind of excited at the concept of apple fries and scarfed them down, regardless of my hiding the caramel packets, which is great. On the other hand, I feel BK is discouraging healthy choices by drastically overcharging for this small menu item. I’m just saying. Maybe if I had ordered the meal, instead of a la carte? Why do they gotta play games.

3 comments:

almost anonymous said...

Very overcharged, but maybe now you can get one of those slicer/corer things and make them at home and they'll be so cool?

Good for you for hiding the sauce :)

penelope said...

I have made them at home! Which has been fun. Although they lost their coolness after the second time.

HFCS was the first ingredient in the caramel sauce! :) I could not abide.

Somebodys mom said...

Foods don't have to be slathered in sweet to be enjoyed by kids (nor adults). The public needs to let the manufacturers know. But it can be a battleground. Kids manage to receive a lot of advertizing messages. The folks that do the photography really know how to do magic.