Friday, June 5, 2009

While You Were Gone, by M

It rained. Which is crazy for the end of May into June. A cool rain, and 2 weeks of grey grey days. A reprieve for whatever comes what may. (the blazing heat of summer)(the tumbling down the empty reservoir into drought, perpetual in our arid climbs) and by rain i mean once every 3/4 hours for 5/10min at a time.

I had a dream that I was talking to people in a church and it was empty and i was high up in a balcony with wooden pews and then i was holding onto the side of a cliff as a waterfall shot out as wide as Niagara, to my right. And I craned out and twisted to try and get a better view of the most magnificent sight. As the water thundered, whales and dolphins leaped off the waterfall and out into the vast ocean, out to the horizon. Killer whales, and mammoth blue whales, and grey whales surging out to freedom. When it was over I told the nameless not seen people to help pull me in off the cliffs edge, as I probably better not test my hold for too much longer, as i threaded my hands into what felt like woven together paper. I had a last glance to what looked like a dolphin that didn't make it, and got hit on the rocks, but it was just a tree branch.

Last night I had a dream that I was in some sort of school, or small orphanage in a small faraway place. And whatever had happened none of the other students believed me, and the evil woman who was in charge had one upped me. So i had to run away. While everyone was out, I crawled around gathering my things. And found someone had bought me a new red duffel bag to replace the one I had. And there were notes in it from my friend Brigid, A yellow cross made like snowflakes are made, but on glossy paper, a note from Autumn, and a note from Sarah. I thought how sweet, but was somehow overwhelmed and concerned with bigger things. And then I woke up.

Tuesday I start an art department job on a low budget horror flick. My friends boyfriend Rob called me and I was like who is this rob guy- oooh ROB. Hey what's up? Heck yah i'll take it! Pays the same as this logging job i have now but is only 2.5 miles from my house.

I see a sliver of blue sky.

5 comments:

FamilyEscapee said...

Glad I'm not the only one who has dreams like that, M. Though mine just as often involve zombies of some sort. Night before last it was coffee zombies; they all wanted the highly caffeinated beverage with the same desperation as their brain-craving counterparts. COOOOOOFFEEEEEEEEE...

almost anonymous said...

Yay job!

How did I miss the rain? :( (Granted, we may be getting some up here before I leave, but still.)

My word is infleas. No thank you.

penelope dream analyzer said...

Dream 1: The waterfall symbolizes the volcano, which you feel unfinished about because you HAVEN'T WRITTEN ABOUT IT YET.

Dream 2: You are Voldemort in this dream. No one understands you and thus you lash out at the orphanage and then the larger world, seeking to become the most powerful wizard who ever lived. Because clearly you are excited about the 6th movie coming out next month.

You're welcome. Rest well.

almost anonymous said...

Yes, where is the writing? :)

I got you a Seattle present today, but since it's not a birthday present, I will hold it hostage for some pages.

penelope said...

aa, excellent strategy. and in fact, i have been holding m's actual b-day present hostage as well...

time to write some pages!