Monday, June 8, 2009

weeks later

One tiny thing that disappointed me about the “Grey’s Anatomy” finale (and this is only a tiny spoiler, Andria, shouldn’t affect your experience of watching it in August ;) is that Izzie, when she went to her day-dreamy Happy Place, escaped to the beach. I know, it’s a small, practically inconsequential point of contention. But to me, it seemed a little… cliché? I get that she’s a doctor, spends all her time in a hospital, and so her happy place could very logically be sprawled out in a chaise, wearing a bikini and taking in the sound of the waves. It’s a lot people’s idea of bliss, I guess. I just felt like the writers could have been a little more original? Or maybe that would have detracted from the rest of the plot.

Anyway, it got me thinking about what my Happy Place would be, should I require some mental escape, i.e. in the dentist chair, or whatever. It definitely wouldn’t be the beach, because while I love the waves and the shells and the sounds and the smells, it just makes me think of sand on my sunglasses and sunburned skin, self-consciousness and dehydration in 1 hour or less. I know. Ridiculous. But laying out at the beach is not the most relaxing time in the world for a fair-skinned, sensitive soul such as myself. I think I’d transport myself mentally to the Italian countryside.

Give me some rolling Tuscan hills, please. Some chickens and goats, and olive trees. A villa with a big kitchen… I’ll make meals there, and bread, and maybe even cheese. And obviously there will be a garden as well as a winery in this place. The means, essentially, to make all our food. It may not even have any modern conveniences… we may have to do everything by hand. It may take all day to do one little thing.

Sometimes I kind of think I’d like a world where saving time wasn’t a choice… It might be relaxing. Less complicated. And a richer overall experience? Perhaps. Either way, it would be beautiful and amazing there, I’m convinced in my mind—which is all that matters, in terms of the whole idea of “escape.”

Where is your Happy Place?

6 comments:

Loves the Beach said...

The beach is probably my favorite place to relax. M and I have camped at the beach in November, needed our sweaters and sweats. May I suggest these alternatives to sunburt and dehydrated: How about sitting in a beach house in the shade watching the waves? Or lounging in a tent at Carpiteria beach listening to the waves? Or sitting inside Polly's at the Pier in Redondo Beach watching the water?

How does your garden grow?

penelope said...

that does sound lovely...

garden post forthcoming!

almost anonymous said...

I'm perfectly happy sitting on the couch at my parents' staring out the window...the valley and Olympic Mountains out front, Mt. Rainier out the back.

Of course, I don't look at the yard and think of what needs to be done :)

Side note...if you haven't seen Son of Rambow, put it in your Netflix.

penelope said...

Ooo, nice. Love the mountains.

Son of Rambow in q, check. sounds like something j.lo would also enjoy!

almost anonymous said...

I think it's got enough to keep a guy entertained :) But I watched it with my mom, so I've got no guy opinions as backup.

jenn said...

Your happy place sounds divine. Truly, truly DIVINE. That would trump the beach for me any day. I love the water and the waves (and I adore the beach at night), but when I think of the beach, I also can't help but think of heat and sunburn and sand stuck all over me. Not my favorite things.