Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Queen of Grout

Entering a boy den is always a tricky thing. Especially with a stereotype collection of felons, bikers, gruff construction workers, and you have the basics of who is building movie sets. They're usually heavily tattooed and foul mouthed too. I do not exaggerate. And at the point I got there I was the only girl on set. A scrappy white guy with dreds and a weathered face named "Scull-y" looked me up and down and says, Are you going to get dirty in that? With your fancy sweater and your shoes? I said, this is a $10 shirt from old navy. Then I thought how dirty are we getting? He said, can you draw a straight line? I said firmly, yes. Though I did have my doubts. And it became clear to me why I had to ring favors out of my friend and only did the cubicle 4.116 move my friends boyfriend to pity for a recommend. But then I think, have a little faith already. Apparently they're so used to getting idiots that the fact that i can draw a straight line makes me a sparkling genius, that and I'm quick.

Scully said, do not draw lines here, and here and here- and there- that would fuck me up. Don't fuck me up. I said, I don't hate you yet. He took me arm in arm to survey the set. He said, you got it? Yahh, yah, I said, I got it.

him: who knew she was going to be so competent.

Then later talking to his felon friend RayRay. RayRay says, what do you need today Scully? And Scully says, my cock sucked. (they laugh) He then notes I am in the room quitely painting. He puts his arm around my shoulder, "That was so inappropriate of me. Sorry. Do you forgive me? I'm so sorry."

Words from another guy, "This beats jail though, and the crew is nice."

Words from today: I get a hug from Scully in the morning, who often shouts my name and calls me the Queen of Grout. He drops his cigarette ashes in the paint buckets and tells me how his biker gang threw him a baby shower, and that they cussed him out for crying. He said, it wasn't my fault, i was just so fucking touched.

And the guys, they seem to like me calling me random names like whatever shirt i'm wearing: like stussy,redsand and billabong. And saying things like, after my 9th heartattack i realized I had to get my life straight. I'm 52, now i'm going to music school and I've just written a symphany. I really do want to see this producer succeed. And another, hey you probably went to school for this and now your drawing straight lines. Yes sir I say, I have the debt to prove it. Good girl he says, what does debt matter anyway.

Even a random actor walked in, viewing the set came by, and my eyes sort of locked with his, thinking, I know this guy! But probably not. But maybe? He says, sorry to interrupt. I say, not at all. I run into him later, I at the top of the ladder with a paint can and roller in my hand, he says, have we met before? I said, yes, maybe? He said, were we lovers? I said, yes, and it was beautiful.

He smiles. The executive producer walks off, he says to him, what- i was busy flirting.

Then later Scully tells me two more girls are coming and he wants me to mentor them and show them what to do. I said, what like a girl gang? He said, yes, so you could all pms together and give me the stink eye.

So we can tell you to stop your foul mouthed, smoking ways?
Yes. Fucking exactly that, I'm so glad you're here.

4 comments:

almost anonymous said...

Hahaha. Ahh, set life. The construction assistant was like the only girl in the department on Jordan, and she had great stories.

penelope said...

This, my friend, is the most awesome post ever. I am in awe.

And they pay you for this? said...

Love your post. Good thing you write because talking doesn't seem to be your strong suit lately.

Niki said...

I totally want to work with these people. Agree with Pen, awesome post!