Saturday, April 25, 2009

Today I…

Caved to certain demands, such as cranking up the a/c (boooo. but necessary in this new sticky heat.) and purchasing crab legs for dinner. Also, I planted a garden. Per EHJ’s suggestion, we went the drip hose and timer watering system this year, and I think it will work out super-well, soaking the soil with more consistency and efficiency. J.Lo constructed another garden bed while I went away last week to Smartini Land, and so we’ll have 2-3x as many vegetables this year. I planted two tomato plants and a pepper plant provided by my mom, as well as a bunch of brand spanking new seeds that I never even got to open last year: cucumbers, beans, squash, and okra. It’s my first time trying okra. Also, there are the scraggly chives that I discovered growing so well from last year, under the weeds. They look like they ate their vitamins during the winter. We bought one drip hose and had plenty to snake through the two beds, with a tiny bit of “wasted” hose in-between, so I arranged some of my potted plants in that area. No water wasted, and fewer plants to think about watering. In those pots, there are basil, rosemary, thyme, sunflowers, strawberries, and some seeds I hope take off: delphinium, sage, cinnamon basil, and cilantro. Overall, I must confess that I am super-satisfied with the outcome of this project, and hope and dream of veggies a-plenty in the coming months.

P1020872

  P1020876 P1020882P1020877 P1020878 P1020879  P1020881

8 comments:

erin j said...

Very nice! I must say that I'm glad you took the recommendation and on that note, say we have left the soaker hoses. Maybe ours are too old/left out all winter but they were DROWNING half our plants and the other half were barely getting anything...so since we have a sprinkler, that's what we will use...now to reset up the timer. We do have a few other soaker hoses that may be in better shape and I may try those. But since we already have peas, okra, beans, and carrots on their way up... it's a little harder.
Next year I am going to try out square foot gardening. Have you heard of that? I think it's a better use of space... we'll see...

penelope said...

I thought those were soaker hoses in your garden pics?? I do love them, though I could see how they might not last from year to year. And I have heard about square foot gardening, but don't really know much about it? Anyway, thanks for the inspiration on the soaker hoses, as well as the okra! :)

erin j said...

Yeah, they were, and I got so frustrated that I ripped it out... and now the sprinkler is set up to water both gardens... can do it in about 10 minutes twice a day... lose points for water consumption... but ya know... live and learn.
as i learn more about the square foot gardening, i'll let ya know.
i hope that your okra does well. if it does, remember that once you start picking it, it will continue to grow well into the fall here!!!

penelope said...

Well into the fall... hooray! That is exciting. I'm also hoping to do a fall crop of carrots and radishes, but will it happen, is the question. I've had the same dream for 3 years running now, and it's never happened. :)

almost anonymous said...

Very nice looking garden, and you have such wonderful helpers :)

green thumbs unite! said...

Yeah!
Oh, hey, I need to plant my sunflowers.

Andria said...

impressive!

~sarah said...

jealous