Monday, April 13, 2009

Spot On, by M.

Lately i've been feeling a bit burdened by documentation, keeping up with photo albums mostly, printing pics, making sure they're all saved and organized, but the same goes with documenting my life on the blog I think and all the various activities and awesomeness I do- but the blog, its been more about communicating, not documenting, esp to penelope, but the two are twins sometimes and documenting is bullying communicating then communicating gets fed up and sulks in a corner. And then there's nobody getting nothing done over here. Which is why for the month of April you will continue to see 'today, i' posts- unless i really feel moved to relate something-- which is the case at this moment.

I'm reading 'Human Bondage'- by Somerset Maugham, which is a grim title and I feel the book itself might be grim though i am only half way in. I found 2 quotes that I relate to so completely in my belief if not the fact that i've said the very same things almost word for word in relating my thoughts to other people- which is cool to find in a book and one of the joys of reading if i may say as much.

(on love, art and money)

1: "(There is nothing so degrading as the constant anxiety about one's means of livelihood. I have nothing but contempt for the people that despise money. They are hypocrites or fools.) Money is like a sixth sense without which you cannot make complete use of the other 5. . . you will hear people say that poverty is the best spur to the artist. They have never felt the iron of it in their flesh. They do not know how mean it makes you. It exposes you to endless humiliation, it cuts your wings, it eats into your soul like a cancer. It is not wealth one asks for but just enough to perserve one's dignity, to work unhampered, to be generous, frank, and independent..."

2. 'They stared at one another, forgetting that people surrounded them. He went straight up to her, and she moved a little toward him. Both felt the formality of introduction was out of place. He spoke to her. "I've been looking for you all my life," he said. "You've come at last," she murmured. '

1 comment:

almost anonymous said...

Very apt description about art and money. I can hope the second might happen :)

My word is winest...like you should be drinking wine and discussing literature?