Saturday, November 15, 2008

someday

I was out shopping today and found a bucket of sticks on clearance for $7.50. I think it was 75% off. A damn good price for a bucket of sticks. I have always wanted one, I couldn’t tell you why. I can see it by a door, or in a corner somewhere, especially during the fall or winter months. The pot was an orangey red color, the sticks maybe between 2 and 3 feet tall. It was sort of perfect all around.

I put it in the cart and took it on a tour of the store, on the fence the whole time about the *need* for a bucket of sticks. Justifiable? After a several-year back-burner quest? Why not.

Then I remembered that N.Lo is 1, and on the verge of walking, and that there couldn’t possibly be a worse time to buy the bucket of sticks. Sure, he’d learn quick enough not to go near the thing. But would that be before after the sticks skewered his little eyeballs. It would be a disaster waiting to happen, I had to admit.

Someday I will own the bucket of sticks. Someday the planets will align on this matter. Just not, sadly, today.

4 comments:

mendacious said...

love the painting pictured! though you know you shouldve just gotten the sticks and stuck them in the shed or the dark hole of that room or whatever... and brought them out later. you would not have regretted.

youre better than chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles.

Andria said...

I was thinking the same thing - sticks and N.Lo? and then, yeah, but it's $7.50, buy it and put them somewhere until you can safely bring them out. . 18 years or so? When they won't use them as weapons on each other? But, still. . .
Wyatt loves to pick up sticks outside. . we can send you some if you really want them in your house. We always make him leave them outside. ;)

hee. my word verification is woodcuc

~sarah said...

I wasn't going to leave a comment because I was just going to say the same thing about saving them for later, but then I saw that my word verification is "psisiful" and, really, how could I resist? Also, Word Verification, is there something you'd like to tell us? Have you just hired a bunch of teenage boys or something?

Anonymous said...

I bet the sticks were excited about the ride around the store and also disappointed not to go home with you.