Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Penolin,

This is my moms fish. I'm sending it to Misty and her new babe. Thanks mom! I revel in its patent awesomeness. I want to keep it.
Here you will see the pillow obsession that trumped all other list projects, and what led me down that dark road of 2 joann's visits and forgetting callie at the airport and working on these for 2 days straight with the knowledge that I wouldn't be using them until... next year? wtf. my only question is whether to let one of the seems out on the nativity pillow and make the pillows a plump 20" or keep them at 18"- it is quite the extravegant border. But i thought i'd go all out as these are my first pillows ever. I tried quilting the toile but then thought better of it, esp as i was like, let me outline all the trees... sigh, nevermind. There went like 2 hours of my life but then after all the end result is pretty fantastic- fancy or non fancy as it might be. I have advent pillows!
Ah pillows. Anyway, last week i saw cath and i almost got ran off the road by a land rover just as i was about to pull off the freeway for gas. I looked, i went to move right and suddenly there was this landrover blarring at me. I moved back, missing the exit and so did she! Beeatch! What was she doing there! Apparently not exiting, just steering me along the course that was my destiny. So then I thought surely at the next exit there will be a gas station. Not for 4 miles in any direction, just a wasteland of shopping and sterile corporate landscaping. So then I thought, well, we'll keep going and eventually we'll see a sign. Oh not so. We hit a tollroad. The 73. I guess I don't feel too bad contributing $5, yes FIVE, dollars to the infrastructure awesomeness that is the OC but man, I was trapped and there was no where else to go. I asked the toll lady who was quite nice where the nearest one was, she said if you can make it 8miles to the 5 it'd be better. I said, I didn't think I could. She said, ok but then you have to get back on the toll. Dammit. No. Anyway, so she says, the 4th exit, turn left, there's a gas station there. We go another harrowing 4 miles at least, a long way down a street and finally as we hit a turn we see it tucked away. Damned OC people and their hidden facilities. My Lolly took 20 gallons. She only ever takes 18. I think I could've made it to the 5 maybe? But the mental tension. It was too much. We then persevered to have a lovely time at San Juan Capistrano. I don't know how we ended up there, but suddenly cath felt there was no time to hike and I convinced her we should go. Strangely I don't know how I end up there, every year or so it pulls me in it seems.
So the only other thing, and then really I need to go outside and accomplish an uber gardening list is this prime rib o' awesomeness. Best advent meal ever. It almost makes me swoon. That first cut with a little fat, crispy, seasoned, juicy meat. Oh my goodness so GOOD. This is my favorite right before skirt steak and ribeye. Damned deliciousness. Mom is so good to me to buy it and cook it. Ok, no seriously, I have to go. Stop talking to me.


7 comments:

~sarah said...

yay! pillows! they look great. and i'm glad you decided not to quilt them. i knew that would drive you nuts, which is why i tried to dissuade you. : )

~sarah said...

i'm commenting now strictly for the word verification: brave. i like it.

almost anonymous said...

I would want to keep the fish too.

The pillows look fantastic. I'm glad my waiting at the airport could contribute to your creative start to the year ;)

pen said...

Ooo, all kinds of wonderful craftiness. I'm assuming the vortex into the toll road, et al, led you away from some other bad fate. Because otherwise, bleh. You're too funny about the steak. :)

somebodys mom said...

Love you Daughter!

ditto said...

You've done a fabulous job photographing purple gold fish. It is ready, now, to go meet it's new family. snif.
Your pillows are terrific too.

Unknown said...

i LOVE the wide border. its regal and aesthetically comforting and interesting at the same time.