Friday, May 29, 2009

While You Were Gone, by M

My 6th grade english teacher found me on facebook.

No really.

I was staring at the friend request : so and so reckons they know ye. (i still have FB turned to "pirate english") And I racked the brain thinking who is this guy and why does his name seem soooo familiar. And then I thought could it be?! NO WAY! I rushed home as fast as traffic and my edge could carry me and flipped thru my yearbook and there he was. A little dorkier and fresh faced, but still pretty cute then my imagination made him but, I had such a crush on this guy as a 6th grader. He was nice, gave me attention, encouraged my stories- turned his smily faces to martians on my papers (of which a couple i still have). And I have till this day remembered him fondly. As one does with vague impressions that you can trust because you've carried them with you for so long- He was a good guy, a good teacher to me. He made a difference.

So I asked him, how on earth did you remember me?!

To which he replied:
P**** cast ye a bottle with a message.
(dead men tell no tales)

"Hi Mendacious!! Of course I remember you! You always had a happy smile and encouraging word. What have you been doing these past 21 years??"

I. Am. Floored.

5 comments:

Bruckner said...

I'm confused. You're 6th grade teacher replied 'pussy cast ye a bottle???'

What on Earth does that mean?

penelope said...

that is REALLY cool that he remembered you.

is he married?

mendacious said...

oh behave bruckner!
if you were on FB you'd know.

pen- totally married w/kids. i carefully ascertained the creep factor before accepting. though if this were th 18th century i'm sure we'd meet at some remote summer holiday spot along the beach and he would either be an intercessor for the love of my life or that cute old man whose advances i spurn. altough he's probably not that much older than i am. but enough. so weird how the gap closes. i dug out those papers i saved- they are ridiculous stories!

somebody's mom said...

Neato!

almost anonymous said...

As long as the creep factor was assessed...how cool!